Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is the academic route or pathway needed to become a fully qualified doctor. Please include GCSE grades, A-level choices and Grades and what to study in Uni.

Many thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry and Biology
    Medicine at Uni (5 or 6 year course)
    Training

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: don't matter, nothing is necessary as Sciences are already compulsory.

A-Level: Chemistry, biology and either maths or physics (or both) will keep all the medical schools open to you.
    University: Medicine at university or you can take the longer route of doing Biomedical Science.

ReputationRep:
    well studying medicine in uni is ultimately the only way to become a fully qualified medical doctor, but you can do it after another degree im something like biomed or biochem

all british universities that I know of require chemistry, some require another science/maths, at A level
    most will require a minimum of AAA at A level and AABB at AS, if you plan to go straight into a medical degree.

as for GCSEs, there is an emphasis on them at some universities, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff are ones I've heard of putting an emphasis on GCSEs (so don't quote me for sure)
    they mainly expect a B in English lang, maths and science I think, there isn't a real specificity as to what other GCSEs you need

you'll need to sit the UKCAT or BMAT (notoriously harder but I've heard people say it's easier) depending on which unis you want to apply to
    Bristol as of this year dont require either (but are very personal statement heavy)
    BMAT Unis are ones like Oxbridge, imperial, UCL, etc

you'll need some solid work experience in a caring environment, and most unis interview (bar Edinburgh but they put huge emphasis on personal statement and some parts of ukcat I believe)

and that's pretty much that
    I went for the direct route and will be starting medicine at liverpool university in September if I achieve AAA this summer

good luck! some parts of the process feel awful and you might feel like you're never going to get anywhere, but there's always the next year so don't give up

ReputationRep:
    It obviously varies from medical school to medical school.

Just google their entry requirements; nobody is going to give you the full and comprehensive answer of what each medical school wants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dairychocolate)
    It obviously varies from medical school to medical school.

Just google their entry requirements; nobody is going to give you the full and comprehensive answer of what each medical school wants.
    Asking a question on here is always my last resort. I wouldn't have asked the question if I could google the answer. I was simply confused. I didn't ask anybody to give me a full and comprehensive answer of what each medical school wants. Clearly you would know that if you actually read my question, and you would be able to identify that I was speaking in general. Nonetheless, you might not want to give me a comprehensive answer but people like millieprime, surina16 and undercxver actually answer questions to the best of their ability and are always so helpful Thanks guys..It is very much appreciated xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghizlan_Mz)
    Asking a question on here is always my last resort. I wouldn't have asked the question if I could google the answer. I was simply confused. I didn't ask anybody to give me a full and comprehensive answer of what each medical school wants. Clearly you would know that if you actually read my question, and you would be able to identify that I was speaking in general. Nonetheless, you might not want to give me a comprehensive answer but people like millieprime, surina16 and undercxver actually answer questions to the best of their ability and are always so helpful Thanks guys..It is very much appreciated xx
    You seem defensive but I'm not sure why. You asked for GCSE/A level grades required etc. but those all vary from medical school to medical school. I quite clearly read your post otherwise I wouldn't have any idea what you wanted, since the thread title is just 'medicine.'

Those aren't comprehensive answers and, take it from someone who has done the medical application process twice, you are going to be far better off researching each individual medical school's requirements and selection process individually and then looking at past applicant threads for those medical schools to see what kind of stats are required to get interviews/offers.

Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dairychocolate)
    You seem defensive but I'm not sure why. You asked for GCSE/A level grades required etc. but those all vary from medical school to medical school. I quite clearly read your post otherwise I wouldn't have any idea what you wanted, since the thread title is just 'medicine.'

Those aren't comprehensive answers and, take it from someone who has done the medical application process twice, you are going to be far better off researching each individual medical school's requirements and selection process individually and then looking at past applicant threads for those medical schools to see what kind of stats are required to get interviews/offers.

Good luck x
    Well why is it now that you seem much nicer. I guess its just a misunderstanding. Sorry for any inconvenience caused and I have to admit..I'm very thankful for your time spent to reply. Thanks very much and I seriously need all the luck I can get xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.