The Student Room Group

Sick of my weight, totally depressed feel really ugly 😟 diet tips pls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by akritighimire
exactly and it's near impossible to get enough nutrients on a low calorie meat diet or nearly as much nutrients as you would get from a low calorie vegan diet (except vitamin B12) lentils for example provide more protein than steak but consist of fewer calories and this trend is applicable to almost any meat.
If you want to lower your calorie intake while maintaining correct nutrition , with less risk of heart disease, veganism is the best option.

No it's not, it is very possible and frankly easy.

Either way your initial post was pointless and unhelpful all you said was to go on a vegan diet. You made no reference to calories or calorie deficit and therefore your comment cannot necessarily be construed as being useful for weight loss.
Original post by 999tigger
Agree becayse they dont learn the basics. I just feel sad for he ones that want to learn how to lose. It irks when I can see perfectly good advice has been given and then people start posting tosh,

It is pretty infuriating to say the least. I don't know, maybe it just bothers me because it's so simple and obvious to me.
Reply 62
Well, my first tip is know that it will be gradual, losing weight will take months.
1) Drink a LOT of water.
- 2 litres a day which is about 8 glasses, it may be a bit strange if you don't normally drink water, but be sure to make a habit of it, by buying a water bottle and constantly sipping.
2) Make it gradual
- Small food swaps can help, don't overload yourself with changes, one week cut out fizzy drinks, the necxt juice, the next swap white rice for brown rice, white bread to brown bread. Cut the sugar from your tea. And so on.
3) You Don't need the gym.
- You can do small workouts from youtube, I reommend the channel 'FitnessBlender' the exercises there are really good for weight loss.
I know it can be hard, especially if you live in a house with family, making food swaps can be near impossible, but try your best to make your diet healthier. Hope this helps xxxx
Original post by SophieSmall
Starting to lose patience with this vegan on here to be honest. They're spreading so much misinformation, contradicting themselves and don't seem to understand anything that is being said to them.

Not really sure why I'm even wasting my time trying debate with a GCSE student knowing full well I am on point and they are completely off the ball because I literally learn this stuff at university and they are essentially with their nonsense claims saying my lecturers and professors despite having studied and researched these topics for decades are wrong.

It's ridiculous. This is why there is so much confusion about weight loss (an incredibly simple topic) because of people like that spreading complete and utter garbage.

Since you are more educated, can you explain why vegetarians and vegans live longer than meat eaters? Or is that nonsense too? Is it also not true that meat is directly linked with a number of issues including heart disease, high cholesterol, cancer etc?
@Angry cucumber Because it's funny when you wreck people.
Diet tip number 1 -> Cut down on your intake of food. Consistently! Make a chart and record your weight everyday to see if you're making progress :smile: My mother went from 11st 10 to now 9 st 6 in a couple of months doing this.
Since you are more educated, can you explain why vegetarians and vegans live longer than meat eaters? Or is that nonsense too? Is it also not true that meat is directly linked with a number of issues including heart disease, high cholesterol, cancer etc?

It's not something that can easily be covered by a post on an internet forum, if you ever pursue science to a university level you'll understand why.

First is first, you need to learn the term "correlation does not necessarily equal causation". Just because veganism or vegetaranism correlates with a longer life span it does not necessarily make it the cause. If you don't understand this concept have a quick look at the wikipedia on it, it explains it quite well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

There are a lot of things than need to be taken into account when doing studies such as that. You need to make give necessary controls to ensure the data you are getting is caused by what you are studying. For example you'll need to make sure both groups either smoke or don't smoke if you are studying the affect of life span on a certain diet. And that is only one variable, there are hundreds if not thousands of variables than can affect the study. The jury is still out on those studies and they are not conclusive on the exact cause.

Yes there is evidence certain types of meat (in certain quantities) with things such as heart disease and cancer, but again jury is still out on exactly why. You also need to take into account that many many studies can find links, correlations and causations of most food types to cancer now. The importance of it is understanding whether or not the risk is large enough for it to be a genuine problem. Also cholesterol is a lot more complicated than high = bad, the media has really painted cholesterol in a bad light and made it out to be this really unhealthy things..it's really not.
That's what I've been saying all along. A diet consisting of more vegetables and less meat + dairy increases nutrition and lowers calorie intake

err no that wasnt what i was saying. i never said anything about less meat or dairy.

Meat is a great source of protein. dairy cna be a great source of lovely nutrrents, fats proteins vitamins minerals etc.
It's not something that can easily be covered by a post on an internet forum, if you ever pursue science to a university level you'll understand why.

First is first, you need to learn the term "correlation does not necessarily equal causation". Just because veganism or vegetaranism correlates with a longer life span it does not necessarily make it the cause. If you don't understand this concept have a quick look at the wikipedia on it, it explains it quite well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

There are a lot of things than need to be taken into account when doing studies such as that. You need to make give necessary controls to ensure the data you are getting is caused by what you are studying. For example you'll need to make sure both groups either smoke or don't smoke if you are studying the affect of life span on a certain diet. And that is only one variable, there are hundreds if not thousands of variables than can affect the study. The jury is still out on those studies and they are not conclusive on the exact cause.

Yes there is evidence certain types of meat (in certain quantities) with things such as heart disease and cancer, but again jury is still out on exactly why. You also need to take into account that many many studies can find links, correlations and causations of most food types to cancer now. The importance of it is understanding whether or not the risk is large enough for it to be a genuine problem. Also cholesterol is a lot more complicated than high = bad, the media has really painted cholesterol in a bad light and made it out to be this really unhealthy things..it's really not.

Also, many studies and institutions are heavily funded by the meat and dairy industry (I've found through my research) so when you say you learn this at university, how can you be sure it's not misinformation?
@Angry cucumber Because it's funny when you wreck people.

Good grief
Also, many studies and institutions are heavily funded by the meat and dairy industry (I've found through my research) so when you say you learn this at university, how can you be sure it's not misinformation?

Researchers have to supply information on their funding and any conflicts of interests in order for them to be published. If there is any conflict of interest (such as a study being funded by the meat industry and they are doing a study on meat and health) it will be available as knowledge for the reader.

At this point I have read hundreds of studies. And I know at this point a study does not always = clear cut truth and fact, it is so much more complicated than that and studies very often contradict each other. Which is why you have to look at the subject as whole rather than basing your entire opinion off one or two studies.
Thank you for your replies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eat a higher lean protein diet and fewer carbohydrates. You can get away with eating fats at they do not really accumulate in the body. Excess carbohydrate is stored at glycogen (which is what you see as 'fat' usually)

I would advise you to eat a lot of Quorn protein instead of red meats. Basa (a type of fish) Salmon and chicken are also very good as they contain 'healthy fats' (well the fish do)
Angry cucumber making a rare appearance in chat. I come in like a wrecking balllllllll

Original post by AsiaM
Pls post if you feel the same & tips for staying motivated on healthier lifestyle

List to Sophie and J.C.

going vegan is probably the easiest way

- Eliminate a large part of peoples diet is easy? No.

it is, compared to strict diets and exercising daily- all you need to do is not eat meat and dairy :smile:

Brb wiping out a large part of western diets. - Easy. no mention of how not become and anaemic, vitamin deficient being

Original post by .JC.
Watch some fitness you tubers. Lots of them upload daily and I find that is a good way of motivating yourself. Maybe watch their video(s) as soon as you wake up for motivation.

Set a goal, a realistic goal, and stick to it. If you have a goal to work towards it will make it easier for you to reach it, rather than just seeing how it goes along the way.

Track your progress. This will keep you motivated as you will be able to see how far you have come, and how far you have to go.

Use MyFitnessPal to track your calorie intake. Find an online calculator and aim to eat 500 calories below your maintenance level. Alternatively, eat 11 x your goal weight in pounds (calorie wise). Try out different diets or eating approaches and find one which works for you.

Find healthy foods which you enjoy, and are happy to eat regularly.

Make sure you always have food in. If you don't, you'll end up eating crap. Make it easily available and accessible.

With that being said, ensure you have lots of healthy snacks. This will help curb cravings and prevent you from binge eating.

By losing weight, your face will slim down, giving you a more defined, better jaw line, which will make you appear more attractive regardless of how attractive you are now.

The saying 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' is a little provocative but not far from the truth. When you want to eat something unhealthy, ask yourself how much you'll enjoy it and how long for. When you're eating, do you really get that much enjoyment out of it? If so, how long does it last? That being said, allow yourself treats from time to time.

Don't get a personal trainer. That's right, don't. They are a waste of money and won't really offer you anything extra than what you can get for free online, or elsewhere.

Learn to enjoy working out. Put your headphones in and block out the world. Take the time to either forget about everything, or to think about your life.

The hardest part is taking the first step. Remember, a journey of 1000 miles begins with just one step. As soon as you start, it will get 10 times easier from then on in.

There will be highs and lows along the way, sometimes you will binge eat and sometimes you will put on some weight, but remember where you came from and how far you have come.

Its really not hard to lose weight and better yourself as long as its something you really want to do. As long as you make it work for you, it will be much easier than you think.

This

Weight loss logistically is very simple. Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight.

Google tdee calculator and use that to determine your tdee ( the total calories your body needs in a day to maintain its weight depending in weight, height, gender, age and activity level.)

All you then need to do is eat less calories than your tdee a day to lose weight. If you eat about 500 calories less a day you should lose approximately 1lb per week ( as 1lb of fat is equal to approx 3500 calories, 3500/7 days = 500 calories).

Log your calorie intake using myfitnesspal.co.uk , be sure to be as accurate when logging calories as possible. And don't forget to include things like sauces and cooking oil. When trying to lose weight it is better to overestimate than underestimate your calories.

It's normal for your weight to fluctuate a few pounds or so, don't worry about this it is mostly water retention and the weight of stuff in your digestive system. If you don't see any weight coming off after 4 weeks however then either your tdee is lower than estimated or you're counting your calories inaccurately, so lower your calories some more or be more careful with logging calories.

Try to eat a balanced diet, by keeping your nutrition on point you're less likely to crave big junk meals or binge. But on the same point, allow yourself treats within your calorific goals. You'll be more likely to give up and lose motivation if you're miserable on the food you're eating.

If you reach a plateau in weight loss it'll likely be because your tdee is now lower and your deficit is no longer big enough to keep losing at your previous steady rate. So recalculate your tdee and eat below it again.

Once you have lost the desired amount of weight you will need to recalculate yor tdee and eat that amount of calories on average per day and you will maintain your weight.

Don't expect weight loss to happen overnight, it's a long process and a lifestyle change.

and this

compared to the number of overweight meat eaters? of course eating too much of anything can make you overweight but eating plant based foods compared to dairy and meat (animal hormones + fats) obviously lowers the chance

Fat vegans are actually surprisingly common. Animal hormones don't affect people, much like soy phyto-oestrogens

weight loss is not about calories though, restricting calories and consuming less than the recommended daily intake is actually very harmful for the body. losing weight is about eating a healthy diet (less than 10% of calories should come from fat but on a dairy+meat diet that will be much higher) eating a high calorie vegan diet is wayy healthier than say, eating 1500 calories per day consisting of more than 10% fatAlso, nuts > animal fats
Weight loss is entirely calories. You're also throwing arbitary numbers around. And nuts don't necessarily = healthier
yes and vegan diets naturally consist of lower calorie food eg: 100grams of broccoli contains approx 35 calories compared to 100g of pork, approx 250 calories
If you're living a diet of purely fruit and veg - no cereal or protein source, you're going to be pretty ill, pretty quickly. Therefore you can't compare pork with brocolli
you know people who eat meat can also eat almonds right?almonds + vegetables is better than almonds + meata vegan diet is simply a normal diet but without meat and dairy..
A vegan diet isn't just stop having pork with your dinner as I've posted above
vegan diet = lower calorie than a meat diet
Tell that to a vegan doughnut
Original post by fatima1998
have you ever watched a youtuber called "freelee the banana girl" she is pure vegan and she said that being vegan isn't just eating its also relates to what you are wearing and applying soooo...... boom :biggrin:

She is a disgusting human being. Laughing at people with cancer, makes vast swathes of bs up and promotes a very unhealthy brand of veganism in fruitarism.

Original post by AxSirlotl
Red meat isn't good for you in large amounts but it doesn't just make you fat it heightens your levels of cholesterol and can cause circulatory problems.
Dietary cholesterol and fat is no longer linked to blood levels unless you actively have heart disease. The advice has changed now :smile:
Original post by Tom Jickleson
The fact remains that veganism is the unhealthiest diet on the planet.

Nah the US style diet of lots of fried foods is the unhealthiest. Veganism can be healthy and it can be unhealthy, much like any diet. All about moderaton

I think you need to do some research but if you really think that then carry on eating meat + dairy, let's see if you make it to 50 without any heart problems or diabetes
There's a lot more centurians who are meat eaters than vegans. By your logic we shouldn't eat a vegan diet. Put that in your pipe
exactly and it's near impossible to get enough nutrients on a low calorie meat diet or nearly as much nutrients as you would get from a low calorie vegan diet (except vitamin B12) lentils for example provide more protein than steak but consist of fewer calories and this trend is applicable to almost any meat.If you want to lower your calorie intake while maintaining correct nutrition , with less risk of heart disease, veganism is the best option.
You're just making stuff up now. You can get adequate micronutrients just fine
There's actually a piece of research out recently that showed vegans to live a shorter life expectancy. Another piece showing mental illness to be more prevalent in the vegan population. There's a lot of contradiction out there - meaning that just eating a reasonable diet is the most healthy

You've just slandered a ot of research. Probably stop now
Original post by Amellia123
Eat a higher lean protein diet and fewer carbohydrates. You can get away with eating fats at they do not really accumulate in the body.
That genuinely makes no sense
Excess carbohydrate is stored at glycogen (which is what you see as 'fat' usually)
No it's not? Whilst most goes to glycogen if you're active and staying a constant weight. People get fat in a calorie surplus from carbs going to fat. Glycogen makes a muscle belly look fuller, not look like fat at all
I would advise you to eat a lot of Quorn protein instead of red meats. Basa (a type of fish) Salmon and chicken are also very good as they contain 'healthy fats' (well the fish do)

Basa and Salmon over all types of fish... why?

A very poor post...
Get a calorie counting app like Myfitnesspal - even if you don't count every single calorie, it makes you realise how much you're consuming without noticing through passive snacking and sugary drinks. Also eating less calories than you burn is a foolproof way to lose weight.

The apps also let you enter your weight/height to calculate BMI and your recommended calorie intake based on how quickly you want to lose weight.
Original post by Angry cucumber

She is a disgusting human being. Laughing at people with cancer, makes vast swathes of bs up and promotes a very unhealthy brand of veganism in fruitarism.

A very poor post...

GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH you are crazy :biggrin:
how long did it take you to answer every post
but i had to delete all the other ones so you know which comment i am referring to...
yes i agree freelee the banana girl is the rudest person i've ever seen on the planet :angry:
Original post by Angry cucumber

Such satisfaction.
I used to be such a chubby little kid/early teen so I can sympathise
all you need to do is actually desire to be thinner in the long term - not just a passing concern that you'll forget
you need to have fun when you start exercising - with me I went to the gym and listened to my ipod and felt great that I was listening to my favourite music while changing the way I looked over time. I gradually (not suddenly) began to eat less, and as time went on I coped very well. everybody complimenting me when I got thinner (2 stone thinner) was very nice.
Reply 79
simple tips

- drink tons of water to shift some weight-actually works but means you need the toilet a lot
-eat meals more slowly
-more veg and fruit to fill you instead of junk
find healthy snacks you like
walk more
Stay positive and think about the things which are unique to you which you like about yourself.
find youtube videos which are practical and inspiring

Quick Reply

Latest