Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am due to start a funded PhD in Mathematical Sciences, specifically 3-D printing, and was wondering if a) It is possible time-wise to undertake a part time MSc elsewhere while doing so, and b) if the University's would allow such to happen.

The MSc program I am interested in is Astrophysics/Cosmology. I aim to do a postdoc following my PhD, preferably in astrophysics, or complex systems and felt the additional qualification would possibly aid my case. Is this a wise choice, or is this just folly?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    No, it almost certainly won't be possible time wise to do this, and I highly doubt your university would let you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    What If I already hold the required knowledge regarding the additional MSc and just want to pick up the qualification for the sake of appearances to bolster my prospects as a post-doc? Of course this would fall second to any publications I have as well as the PhD itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeroVectorSystem)
    What If I already hold the required knowledge regarding the additional MSc and just want to pick up the qualification for the sake of appearances to bolster my prospects as a post-doc? Of course this would fall second to any publications I have as well as the PhD itself.
    I would say don't do it unless you are prepared for a tongue lashing from your supervisor when s/he finds out. I know a PhD who nearly had his funding revoked for taking additional, non-related courses for another degree.

In terms of publications/CV, the MSc, unless highly relevant, would fall second to the PhD. Also, seeing someone do a concurrent MSc and PhD would raise a number of red flags with HR.

ReputationRep:
    Both very valid points and I guess that it is best I focus on my current research. I just planned to transition from numerical mathematics for engineering/classical physics to mathematics for astrophysics/cosmology as a post-doc and I felt the qualification would have helped since my previous formal education has not covered this. Of course I have self taught a lot, and have enough time to learn the relevant subject matter but it may not be viewed as equivalent in the eyes of the faculty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeroVectorSystem)
    Both very valid points and I guess that it is best I focus on my current research. I just planned to transition from numerical mathematics for engineering/classical physics to mathematics for astrophysics/cosmology as a post-doc and I felt the qualification would have helped since my previous formal education has not covered this. Of course I have self taught a lot, and have enough time to learn the relevant subject matter but it may not be viewed as equivalent in the eyes of the faculty.
    I wouldn't say getting an additional MSc would necessarily validate what you have learned when applying for a post-doc position. Even if someone with a traditional MSc + PhD applies for a post-doc position, they may have forgotten most of the intricacies of their MSc curriculum.

For the most part, PIs who hire post-docs with a background outside of the PIs own research specialty will understand that a post-doc may only have conceptual, and not working knowledge of the field. However, being a post-doc, you will be expected to be able to catch up quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombiejon)
    I wouldn't say getting an additional MSc would necessarily validate what you have learned when applying for a post-doc position. Even if someone with a traditional MSc + PhD applies for a post-doc position, they may have forgotten most of the intricacies of their MSc curriculum.

For the most part, PIs who hire post-docs with a background outside of the PIs own research specialty will understand that a post-doc may only have conceptual, and not working knowledge of the field. However, being a post-doc, you will be expected to be able to catch up quickly.
    I have also been made aware of this. So I guess it is safe to say I will just do individual learning in my spare time regarding expanding my knowledge, hopefully in a conceptual and working format. Thanks for the help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.