Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please help me with the question 2(d) ? The marking schemes don't help with this. I studied without the help of any teachers and i don't understand this get myself. Please help..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zainabr17)
    Can anyone please help me with the question 2(d) ? The marking schemes don't help with this. I studied without the help of any teachers and i don't understand this get myself. Please help..
    Which exam board and specification?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    Which exam board and specification?
    http://www.acethem.com/pastpapers/a-...-5-15323.html/

I need to know how the error in resistivity is found. The explaination. Even the marking schemes give the answers but i dont get it.
    Thank you so much.

ReputationRep:
    Explanation* -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zainabr17)
    http://www.acethem.com/pastpapers/a-...-5-15323.html/

I need to know how the error in resistivity is found. The explaination. Even the marking schemes give the answers but i dont get it.
    Thank you so much.
    I'll use a different example. Suppose I was trying to measure g, and I had a value of 9.8 with an error of 0.01. Then I could write that g = 9.8 +/- 0.01. If I then multiplied that by 2, I'd have 2g = 19.6 +/- 0.02. So the error is now 0.02, i.e. it's doubled.

In general, if we multiply a value by a constant, the error is also multiplied. Hence you can use this to calculate the error in the resistivity from the error in the gradient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    I'll use a different example. Suppose I was trying to measure g, and I had a value of 9.8 with an error of 0.01. Then I could write that g = 9.8 +/- 0.01. If I then multiplied that by 2, I'd have 2g = 19.6 +/- 0.02. So the error is now 0.02, i.e. it's doubled.

In general, if we multiply a value by a constant, the error is also multiplied. Hence you can use this to calculate the error in the resistivity from the error in the gradient.
    Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.