Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nervous breakdows and panick attacks every day Watch

I have had pretty bad anxiety almost my whole life and the thought of not doing well in my A-level exams kills me.

I have honestly never felt so low, anxious and depressed in my life. I get so stressed and angry at myelf all the time for not doing well or not doing enough revision. I never feel good enough. Everyone is always better than me and I always do terribly no matter how hard I try. I try to stay positive but its so hard when everyone around expect so much from me and I'm scared I'll let them down.

I really want to do medicine but if I flop my first year of A-levels I won't be predicted good grades. There's honestly nothing else I'm good at in life so if I fail academically, I basically fail at life.

I know it sounds so stupid but that's just how it is for me. I'm literally crying and having panick attacks at least once a day because of these stupid exams that seem to determine my whole life. I'm so scared of being a failure and having nothing to live for.

Like I said, I've always had anxiety but now it has amplified and I'm always depressed also. I hate it.

Has anyone else felt like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have had pretty bad anxiety almost my whole life and the thought of not doing well in my A-level exams kills me.

I have honestly never felt so low, anxious and depressed in my life. I get so stressed and angry at myelf all the time for not doing well or not doing enough revision. I never feel good enough. Everyone is always better than me and I always do terribly no matter how hard I try. I try to stay positive but its so hard when everyone around expect so much from me and I'm scared I'll let them down.

I really want to do medicine but if I flop my first year of A-levels I won't be predicted good grades. There's honestly nothing else I'm good at in life so if I fail academically, I basically fail at life.

I know it sounds so stupid but that's just how it is for me. I'm literally crying and having panick attacks at least once a day because of these stupid exams that seem to determine my whole life. I'm so scared of being a failure and having nothing to live for.

Like I said, I've always had anxiety but now it has amplified and I'm always depressed also. I hate it.

I don't have any advice for you, but please know that you're not the only one in the way that you are feeling, and I feel the same way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Hi, I was in such a similar position in my final year of school and I can assure you, it does get better! It's understandable why you're so stressed but if it's getting to the point where you're feeling depressed and getting panic attacks please speak to your family, friends, gp and/or your school's counsellor, it will be much easier for you to help yourself with the right kind of support. For now, I'd just recommned you try to plan time for yourself to just relax and take your mind of everything else. While this time is important, it is not the end of the world and all you can ever do is your best, so try not to worry about it and remember you can alway, always try again! Good luck op

ReputationRep:

Hey there, listen to me. GCSE is scary and im not going to lie. But there are so many options for you. Its good you want to be a doctor but if you cant find the motivation to revise then i cant help you at all. Find it within yourself and take each day as it comes forget yesterday because it makes you sad. Instead think what can i change tommorow, make a timetable and live by it or else you will never get into medicine. You need to think and be like a doctor now, if you cant help yourself how can you help others. So please, be more conciouse about this second, forget what happened. It over now. Aim to change yourself and make sure that you dont go through with it alone, talk to someone please. A friend or nice teacher.......

ReputationRep:
    You need a balance in your life, exams are not everything. I understand you want to be a doctor; why? If you want it enough and for the right reasons (not because your family want you to, or because you can't think of something else) then remind yourself of this everyday. When you're panicking about exams, take deep breaths and remind yourself why you are doing what you are doing. That said, you do need some down time - too much work and you will burn out. Set some time aside each day to do something you enjoy, this should help you relax. Maybe try speaking to somebody at school about how you are feeling. 99% of people feel exam pressure so you are not alone but don't push yourself too far else you will do worse because you will be so stressed out.

ReputationRep:
    Are you getting any help for your anxiety? You might find that therapy of some kind ,or medication does you the world of good. I have been where you are with crying everyday and stuff and i got better and you can too. Xx
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I went through this last October. It wasn't due to exams but I was going through a lot and my anxiety, panics and OCD went through the roof and at my worst, I called NHS24 demanding to be sectioned because I had had enough. I went to my GP and she said it was nervous breakdown but they don't like calling it that because its very misunderstood so she called it the high anxiety state instead. I had OCD all my life and very bad panic disorder and agoraphobia for about 4 yrs at that point so feeling anxious wasn't new to me but this was a whole new level. I thought the stress would kill me, I didn't think my body could handle it. I was getting multiple giant panics a day, I couldn't eat or sleep, everything set me off, couldn't go out my front door etc.

Exams are important yes, but they aren't the be all and end all. Your health comes first. You can always do resits if you ever fail, but I doubt you would fail. I know its easier said than done, but exams aren't worth the amount of emotional and psychical energy you are putting into them.

For your anxiety, if you don't want to go down the meds road, I was the same. What helped me more than anything was exercise and the teachings of Dr Claire Weekes. Her books and audiotapes helped me beyond belief. Within a few days of reading her book the first time years ago, I went from being housebound for 6 months to going into town on a busy Saturday for the first time in a year. Now when I get a setback, I go straight back to her books and as soon as I read the first page I know I'll be better soon and that I have been at rock bottom before and I know the way back.

You also need to dedicate time to yourself during your revision time. Even if its just an hour a day where you do no revision at all, you try to not even think about that or exams and you do something just for you. That could be going for a walk, cooking, watching a film or tv show, going for a bath. Anything that relaxes you or makes you smile, even just for an hour a day. You wouldn't believe how much that can help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I went through this last October. It wasn't due to exams but I was going through a lot and my anxiety, panics and OCD went through the roof and at my worst, I called NHS24 demanding to be sectioned because I had had enough. I went to my GP and she said it was nervous breakdown but they don't like calling it that because its very misunderstood so she called it the high anxiety state instead. I had OCD all my life and very bad panic disorder and agoraphobia for about 4 yrs at that point so feeling anxious wasn't new to me but this was a whole new level. I thought the stress would kill me, I didn't think my body could handle it. I was getting multiple giant panics a day, I couldn't eat or sleep, everything set me off, couldn't go out my front door etc.

Exams are important yes, but they aren't the be all and end all. Your health comes first. You can always do resits if you ever fail, but I doubt you would fail. I know its easier said than done, but exams aren't worth the amount of emotional and psychical energy you are putting into them.

For your anxiety, if you don't want to go down the meds road, I was the same. What helped me more than anything was exercise and the teachings of Dr Claire Weekes. Her books and audiotapes helped me beyond belief. Within a few days of reading her book the first time years ago, I went from being housebound for 6 months to going into town on a busy Saturday for the first time in a year. Now when I get a setback, I go straight back to her books and as soon as I read the first page I know I'll be better soon and that I have been at rock bottom before and I know the way back.

You also need to dedicate time to yourself during your revision time. Even if its just an hour a day where you do no revision at all, you try to not even think about that or exams and you do something just for you. That could be going for a walk, cooking, watching a film or tv show, going for a bath. Anything that relaxes you or makes you smile, even just for an hour a day. You wouldn't believe how much that can help.
    I second the Claire Weekes books. I've still ended up trying medication, but they helped me move from having non-stop very severe anxiety to feeling some kind of relief and reassurance.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.