Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it illegal to create a fake dating profile? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi one of my mates is 18 and he made a fake profile on a dating app to make new friends and he used a random persons photo

He was speaking to someone whose also 18 and he gave him his number and the person starting saying why are you making fake profiles and I'm going to report you to the police?

Is it illegal to create a fake dating profile?

What would happen if he reported him for making a fake profile with someone else's picture to the police?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesRichards)
    Hi one of my mates is 18 and he made a fake profile on a dating app to make new friends and he used a random persons photo

He was speaking to someone whose also 18 and he gave him his number and the person starting saying why are you making fake profiles and I'm going to report you to the police?

Is it illegal to create a fake dating profile?

What would happen if he reported him for making a fake profile with someone else's picture to the police?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know it is not illegal to impersonate someone online, thats a definite, but Im not sure about violating conditions of a website/ applying that to the consequences of creating a fake profile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    I know it is not illegal to impersonate someone online, thats a definite, but Im not sure about violating conditions of a website/ applying that to the consequences of creating a fake profile.
    Thank you for your reply

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesRichards)
    Thank you for your reply

Posted from TSR Mobile
    no problem This isnt really my thing, but I thought Id share my limited knowledge on the subject. In all reality Im confident you cant get in trouble with the police etc. unless you use that profile to significantly affect someone irl like conning them out of money but I doubt that applies to a website like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    no problem This isnt really my thing, but I thought Id share my limited knowledge on the subject. In all reality Im confident you cant get in trouble with the police etc. unless you use that profile to significantly affect someone like conning them out of money but I doubt that applies to a website like this.
    Thanks for your replies

He's just really paranoid and depressed because of what happened ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It most certainly is a crime and your friend should be ashamed of their misconduct.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.