The Student Room Group

Is it illegal to create a fake dating profile?

Hi one of my mates is 18 and he made a fake profile on a dating app to make new friends and he used a random persons photo

He was speaking to someone whose also 18 and he gave him his number and the person starting saying why are you making fake profiles and I'm going to report you to the police?

What would happen if he reported him for making a fake profile with someone else's picture to the police?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamesRichards
Hi one of my mates is 18 and he made a fake profile on a dating app to make new friends and he used a random persons photo

He was speaking to someone whose also 18 and he gave him his number and the person starting saying why are you making fake profiles and I'm going to report you to the police?

What would happen if he reported him for making a fake profile with someone else's picture to the police?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know it is not illegal to impersonate someone online, thats a definite, but Im not sure about violating conditions of a website/ applying that to the consequences of creating a fake profile.
Original post by EnglishMuon
I know it is not illegal to impersonate someone online, thats a definite, but Im not sure about violating conditions of a website/ applying that to the consequences of creating a fake profile.

Thank you for your reply

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JamesRichards
Thank you for your reply

Posted from TSR Mobile

no problem :smile: This isnt really my thing, but I thought Id share my limited knowledge on the subject. In all reality Im confident you cant get in trouble with the police etc. unless you use that profile to significantly affect someone irl like conning them out of money but I doubt that applies to a website like this.
Original post by EnglishMuon
no problem :smile: This isnt really my thing, but I thought Id share my limited knowledge on the subject. In all reality Im confident you cant get in trouble with the police etc. unless you use that profile to significantly affect someone like conning them out of money but I doubt that applies to a website like this.

Thanks for your replies :smile:

He's just really paranoid and depressed because of what happened ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
It most certainly is a crime and your friend should be ashamed of their misconduct.

Quick Reply

Latest