Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from NTU to study French and European Studies at their uni & toured the uni a few days ago. I quite like it but have heard about its bad / questionable reputation, does anyone know more about that?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well, I personally wouldn't go there - but that shouldn't stop you going if you like the course/the university. What are your other options?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin;[url="tel:64051169")
    64051169[/url]]Well, I personally wouldn't go there - but that shouldn't stop you going if you like the course/the university. What are your other options?
    I got offers from Essex, Kent, Nottingham, Royal Holloway and NTU and after visiting all of them last week it would probably be between Kent and ntu but I prefer ntu at the moment. I've just heard about their rather bad reputation so I'm not sure if I should consider it. When I went there everything looked so modern & everyone was really nice but afterwards I read online that it's not that great of a university so I'm kind of torn about what to do especially cause I don't live in the uk so I'm not too familiar with any of them.
    Why would you not want to go there if you don't mind me asking?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by anna_banana)
    I got offers from Essex, Kent, Nottingham, Royal Holloway and NTU and after visiting all of them last week it would probably be between Kent and ntu but I prefer ntu at the moment. I've just heard about their rather bad reputation so I'm not sure if I should consider it. When I went there everything looked so modern & everyone was really nice but afterwards I read online that it's not that great of a university so I'm kind of torn about what to do especially cause I don't live in the uk so I'm not too familiar with any of them.
    Why would you not want to go there if you don't mind me asking?
    If university was free I would be happy to go there, but I just don't think NTU is worth the nearly £70,000 a degree costs nowadays. You get a degree, but no kudos or great internship or networking opportunities. That said, there's no point going somewhere you don't like - you need to be happy in your surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    Compared to your other choices, it's definitely the weakest. Personally I don't think it's worth the expenses compared to your other uni's.
    Don't let open days fool you as of course they'll only show you the best stuff & the students who help out on the day are paid to do so, so ofc they'll be very friendly.
    However, if your heart is set out on it then go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    If university was free I would be happy to go there, but I just don't think NTU is worth the nearly £70,000 a degree costs nowadays. You get a degree, but no kudos or great internship or networking opportunities. That said, there's no point going somewhere you don't like - you need to be happy in your surroundings.
    70 grand!?!
    Mine was practically free staying in my home city, same for my masters.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    70 grand!?!
    Mine was practically free staying in my home city, same for my masters.
    Oh, it might be a bit less at Nottingham but I based my calculations on UCL.

Fees: 9k x 3 years = £27,000
    Accommodation: £274.12 x 39 weeks x 3 = £32,070
    Food/travel/ living expenses: £180 x 39 weeks x 3 = £21,060

Total: £80,130 - and that's not including the compulsory year abroad language students have to take.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me what exactly is bad about NTU. I'm getting worried now as it's my firm choice....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Oh, it might be a bit less at Nottingham but I based my calculations on UCL.

Fees: 9k x 3 years = £27,000
    Accommodation: £274.12 x 39 weeks x 3 = £32,070
    Food/travel/ living expenses: £180 x 39 weeks x 3 = £21,060

Total: £80,130 - and that's not including the compulsory year abroad language students have to take.
    f me!

I feel so lucky. So expensive!

ReputationRep:
    This is just my opinion and the opinion of siblings /cousins/friends who have been through the application system ...(I have not yet experienced the professional job world just to put it out there) ....but anyway...

If ur gonna pay £9000 a year, ur better off going to the best possible uni. This means going to the best place that will give you the best possible opportunities to succeed in ur future career/ interviews and so forth. Some uni's MAY offer/ better oppurtunities than others. I'm not implying that the uni you go to is what's going to get you an interview. Hearing experiences from cousins, siblings and friends I know that is not the case, its also about you as the individual...

However,just by looking at simple figures online you can see that the job market is now saturated with graduates. What does this mean? It means that competition is very high . Now I don't know what career ur going into or plan to get into, but have a look at just how competitive it may be, think about what company you may want to work for/or be apart of. Is going NTU gonna help you succeed in that chosen career path? If the answer is yes than go for NTU.

My opinion and from opinion of others (everyone has an opinion, its ur choice whether u listen to it or not) NTU is an ex-polytechnic and may not be favourable amongst some of the old employers who are aware of this. However, this doesn't mean every employer will turn you down , its what you do with ur degree at the end of the day.

Unfortunately, NTU is fairly easy to get into, my friend got accepted with 2 U'S and says herself that it is a bit of a doss uni. Some employers are aware of this, some may not be.

My cousin who also went to an ex-polytec had a tough time trying to secure employment after graduation. She felt she had to work twice as hard as those who went to better unis as they were exposed to more opportunities, more exemptions , internships and so forth. She did have experience. However, just because it happened to her, doesn't mean it will happen to you.

I just get the impression that if you do hope to work in a competitive industry/ top firm... The uni you go to will matter to some extent, along with ur experiences, interview skills etc.So ur better going to the best possible place that can get you there.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.