The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No, without the abuse of the system, extra time is a perfectly reasonable and justifiable measure put in place to make up for a disadvantage, not to add an unjust advantage.The system gets abused, which is the only thing that's unfair. All considerations should go through one branch of the NHS, or something similar, that cannot be externally biased. This would get rid of the unjustified cases brought about by paid for, private assessments that are easily faked. However, in general terms, if someone is disadvantaged, then extra time is not an an advantage at all, but an equalisation of chances for the top grades. Don't forget that in some cases, 25% of time is a mere gesture, and in no way covers the individuals needs. And as someone has already mentioned, the equality act does require employers to provide special measures if needed, so extra time does translate into the real world.
Reply 621
No, I know a lot of people who have extra time just because their handwriting is a little below average. I think that people who genuinely have problems should get extra time, but I think that sometimes extra time can be given out willi-nilli
Original post by LittleMissMay
If you come in reasonably late or are disabled mentally, you deserve extra time. If you need extra time to get answers out your head and you're commonly abled, you've technically failed which is the purpose of the test.

I understand exactly what you’re saying (for me the 25% extra time in my exams was a godsend and I used it a lot ) - that you would need extra time if you’re ‘mentally diasbled’ but why would you be allowed extra time if you show up reasonably late? (Assuming one doesn’t have a issue like ADHD that means that means they have little to no concept of time)
Original post by richpanda
so..? are you going to be able to ask for more time later in life? If you were working to crack a code or hand in a project that needed to be done urgently, you can't just get extra time

I think people have said this already but ou can get reasunable adjustments which I’m sure includes extra time under the disabilities act
Original post by xylas
I agree with extra time for disabilities, but not for this reason. If your brain is slow, then you do a different paper that is tailored for you i.e. a foundation paper. The questions tend to be shorter and more direct so thought processing is easier.

If you have sight problems, coordination problems, bowel and bladder problems, ADHD etc. then you should be allowed extra time since these are problems with writing answers and not processing the question.

However if your brain is slow to process, then obviously you are less able to understand the question than someone else (i.e. someone has to repeat the same thing to you many times for you to process it) so you should only do exam papers which you can understand/ do well in.

For example, if someone is very slow to process what a maths question is asking this is the same as being 'less able' at maths and should be reflected in the grade.

I don’t think this is 100% fair. I mean I just finished my GCSEs and extra time was a godsend for me - I don’t think I would’ve achieved my potential had I not had extra time - and why should I do the foundation tier just becuase it takes me a little longer to figure out what the question is asking me sometimes and to get what’s in my head onto paper? Just becuase my brain is sometimes slower at processing things doesn’t mean I understand them any less. And I wasn’t allowed to choose. And with the higher tier papers for most things I actually did quite well (in my opinion).
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest