Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

how to write an amazing medical personal statement? Watch

ReputationRep:
    which books are the best to read for a medical personal statement/interview? something about anatomy preferably, but any good recommendations are welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanxraquel)
    which books are the best to read for a medical personal statement/interview? something about anatomy preferably, but any good recommendations are welcome
    if you really want to be reading about anatomy i think adventures in human being (francis gavin) is a pretty decent book for highschool level (i wouldn't recommend going around memorising anatomical terms tho). bad science or bad pharma (ben goldacre) are also pretty good for a more realistic view of the medical industry. i also really enjoyed the junior doctor series(max pemberton) and genome (matt ridley)

good luck with interviews

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    i have read lots online, but none have particularly struck me as 'one of a kind'. any tips to have a phenomenal personal statement? words or structure tips? some feedback suggests listing what i have done and what i have learnt from it. others suggest i write about fewer experiences in more detail..? confused.

ReputationRep:
    i have read lots online, but none have particularly struck me as 'one of a kind'. any tips to have a phenomenal personal statement? words or structure tips? some feedback suggests listing what i have done and what i have learnt from it. others suggest i write about fewer experiences in more detail..? confused.
    I'd have to second that, i don't particular want to pay for help from people online and my school is not offering any help; tips would be greatly appreciated !

ReputationRep:
    don't try too hard to make it unique - the good ones are all similarly good.
    just make it clear how passionate you are about medicine and how your HEAPS of work experience has just made you more and more passionate. you don't need to have done anything special like assisted in surgery, just something caring and dedicated. Don't copy anything you read online, just use a template with your own ideas. Good luck!

I got 3/4 interviews and my personal statement was really average.

edit- also make sure you say how your work experience has taught you things/what you've learned not just a list of what you've done

ReputationRep:
    hey, just out of curiosity what unis did u apply to and what predictions? x

ReputationRep:
    also why do you say 'heaps', is a LOT of WE an advantage ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millieprime)
    don't try too hard to make it unique - the good ones are all similarly good.
    just make it clear how passionate you are about medicine and how your HEAPS of work experience has just made you more and more passionate. you don't need to have done anything special like assisted in surgery, just something caring and dedicated. Don't copy anything you read online, just use a template with your own ideas. Good luck!

I got 3/4 interviews and my personal statement was really average.

edit- also make sure you say how your work experience has taught you things/what you've learned not just a list of what you've done
    Thanks, Any tips for UKCAT whist you're here?
    • Very Important Poster

If you pay TSR hen they have affiliated PS experts who can assist by reviewing your statement and making sugestions.
    Btw for medicine I bet theyve seen it all before.

ReputationRep:
    also why do you say 'heaps', is a LOT of WE an advantage ?
    I don't think so overly. More about how you reflect on what you saw. Medical schools know it can be difficult to arrange WE.

ReputationRep:
    so sorry to sound so dense, but what kind of 'reflections'. can u give examples.

ReputationRep:
    anyone who applied this year or in the last couple of years and was given offers, willing to share their personal statement? no plagiarism intended, just want vague idea of how to structure and what kind of reflections to make.. thank you.

ReputationRep:
    good question.

i dont know the answer.. just know that my 1st attempt wasnt good enough (1/4 interviews) but my 2nd was (3/4 itnerviews)

Way too much importance is placed on personal statements so spend plenty of time perfecting it, its a lot more important for medicine than it might be for other degrees.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with advice about reflecting on experiences. Achievement lists mean nothing and are a waste of words- they have the UCAS form and can see if you did well at school, got all the extra curricular certificates available etc.

What I felt that they wanted to know is how you came to want the career and how you came to have all the right personal qualities: resilience, respect, compassion etc etc (it's all in the GMC guidelines). Some unis are really specific about what they want to see so read the admissions pages thoroughly for guidance.

Reflecting is an analytical exercise. Take an event: say what happened in a concise way, then say why it happened, what did you learn, what does it mean for the future. You can waste a lot of words narrating/describing a day shadowing and it will count for nothing. If you explained what it taught you and how you think the experience will affect your perceptions, your present and your future you could pick up some points.

Practice doing a few before you crack on with PS.

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much. would you be willing to read mine at any point? i know its random! really want as many opinions as possible x
    • Very Important Poster

thank you so much. would you be willing to read mine at any point? i know its random! really want as many opinions as possible x
    You shouldnt send ps to anyone on tsr for fear of plaigarism. TSR do not like it. Get a friend who knows you and is reasonably literate to read it.

Theres also plenty of resources on TSR about writing your ps.

ReputationRep:
    Me? I'm not in any way qualified to give actual advice. In all honesty the biggest hurdle is the admissions test so I think so long as there isnt anything hugely weird or misguided in the PS you'll be fine. I have done a lot of reflective practice at uni and for my CPD portfolio (current NHS employee) so happy to review some of those for you

ReputationRep:
    The medical schools want to know not WHAT you did, but WHY you did it.

ReputationRep:
    okay, honestly i did work experience in an ENT clinic because i watched a series called botched on tv that made me really interested in it- would i be as honest as this or is it irrelevant. (i am now getting a septoplasty myself due to a broken nose) lol

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.