Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do students love comparing results? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As stated in the title, I never understood why some students love to ask what other people got in their uni exam/assignment and compare results with each other.

Why is this the case?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Because some of them like to go round and do a bit of une upmanship to tell evertone what their are. They dont give a monkeys about yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Because some of them like to go round and do a bit of une upmanship to tell evertone what their are. They dont give a monkeys about yours.
    They might if you get a higher mark than them.

ReputationRep:
    Validation?

ReputationRep:
    I care about my friends and want to know how they did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wrecked Sun)
    As stated in the title, I never understood why some students love to ask what other people got in their uni exam/assignment and compare results with each other.

Why is this the case?
    forget degrees, just look at these online certificate grades i have been getting?!

Name:  grades7.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  135.8 KB

Attachment 520867520869
    Attached Images

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't, I really dislike it to be honest. Makes everything unnecessarily competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I don't, I really dislike it to be honest. Makes everything unnecessarily competitive.
    It's fine if it's between random coursemates or acquaintances, but when it comes to close friends, competitiveness kinda ruins the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, we actually learnt this is psychology. Well what happens is that everyone has a comparison level and everyone has some sort of idea who is "above you" who is "behind you" and who is "below you". So when you get your exam results back, someone might ask someone who usually scores higher than them what their overall percentage was and if you got the same as them, or even higher you will feel better

ReputationRep:
    Humans are naturally competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Boo-hoo, special snowflakes don't enjoy competitive environment because they can't win and it makes them desperate, right? How about you start working on yourselves rather than asking everyone else to shut up? Competitive people are the most successful ones.

ReputationRep:
    I never talk about grades and most of my friends at uni are the same. At a-levels everyone used to know everyone else's grades and I hated it.

ReputationRep:
    so if u get higher, u feel better thn them lol
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Why is this the case?
    1) Ego

2) Arrogance

3) Conceit

ReputationRep:

Why is this the case?
    Realistically, all of us who pass with honours are in the same boat, thanks. from oxbridge to bolton!

ReputationRep:

Why is this the case?
    To see how many people they did better than I suppose, but it can also lead to you feeling crap if you discover that you did worse than everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Self validation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You calling me a monkey ngga?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Boo-hoo, special snowflakes don't enjoy competitive environment because they can't win and it makes them desperate, right? How about you start working on yourselves rather than asking everyone else to shut up? Competitive people are the most successful ones.
    Too much salt in your cornflakes this morning?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Because why not? More importantly it's something relevant to one of your shared interests and potentially the wellbeing of other people.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.