Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a few questions if anyone would be able to help

I'm just wondering if you are studying higher psychology how are you finding completing the research report and overall course?

The area I have chosen to research is 'Sleep, dreams and sleep disorders' and im basing my study on Hysing's study of 'sleep and the use of electronic devices'. I used google forms to create my survey and I'm having trouble getting the results from a spreadsheet correctly on to a graph can anyone give any advice on how to do this?

Would you say submiting a survey through social media (facebook) and it being shared by friends & friends of friends is opportunity sampling or self selected sampling?

Last question, my responses aren't very balanced in sex I have over double the amount of females to males, would it be a good idea to randomly select equal numbers from both male and female?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just to clarify, which exam board or type of psychology course are you doing? GCSE/A/AS/IB?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what higher Psychology is?

You're best using SurveyMonkey for your data collection. Post on Facebook, but also on forums like this or Reddit if you want a wider culturally diverse collection of answers. You can't rely on friends sharing your survey.

You want a lot of answers to provide the best results.

Use all of the data you receive. if you find it's 80% female, then you can use that in your discussion when you talk about the limitations and improvements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBonfire)
    Hi, just to clarify, which exam board or type of psychology course are you doing? GCSE/A/AS/IB?
    Hi, its the SQA new higher.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is the trouble you're having with graphing the data? Are you familiar with producing graphs normally? Are you using Excel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Sinnie_)
    What exactly is the trouble you're having with graphing the data? Are you familiar with producing graphs normally? Are you using Excel?
    I was planning to combine the data from a few questions in the survey but I think what I was trying to do was too complicated (Excel on my Ipad came up with this message). I am not familiar at all with excel/ making graphs, I did have a look on youtube but nothing really helped with excel online as it seems to be missing double bar bargraphs and I dont have Excel on my PC.

Just as examples the different variables I am looking at are age, sex, different electronic devices being used eg. TV, mobile, tablet etc and how often are they being used, what purpose the devices are used for and how much time spent, bedtimes, risetimes, how long it takes to fall asleep, if they awaken during the night how long do they spend awake, if they awaken during the night which devices are used if any, and how many hours needed to feel rested.

Trying to pull all this data together is a headache, one of my classmates who is currently at school but comes to college at night to do this course (I have been out of education for over 5 years and work full time so I decided to get back into education starting by doing a night class) sugguested a graph with number of hours needed to feel rested/ number of particpants for each one which is simple and totally fine but I am just not sure if there is another way I can combine some of the data for example add in what age/ sex, or does this complicate things?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.