The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RWiz
Everyone from my program's status changed as well.

You would only have room for Lazard. Don't see the problem. But I see your logic, I am also disappointed in my SW run despite having an offer.

But oh well, back to the drawing board and up that CV for summers.

dissapointed? it's more than most people have, be proud of that. that iniital opportunity to showcase yourself is all you need.
Original post by desaf1
Lol why fidelity of all places

Best fixed income fund manager. Interest in AM lol ain't about the ibd life
Original post by Princepieman
fidelity is quite fleeky

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loool he knows :wink:
Has anyone here had an acceptance offer from Rothschild?
Original post by tazza ma razza
Best fixed income fund manager. Interest in AM lol ain't about the ibd life

Why fixed income instead of equities? Just interested because I know a lot of people interested in doing AM in equities but no one interested in FI
Original post by Ladbants
Why fixed income instead of equities? Just interested because I know a lot of people interested in doing AM in equities but no one interested in FI

In asset management firms, you'll be investing in corporate bonds anyway do its quite similar to equities, it's just that instead of buying their stock you're buying their bonds. It's not a hugely different world to equities.
Original post by tazza ma razza
trust me mate its sad times. I have deloitte tax tho...

I am aiming for fidelity, shell, scroders, kpmg and one of Mckinsey/Oliver Wyman/BCG

AFAIA there is no clash.

Why shell? Do you mean the petrol company? Didn't even know they had a spring week

Good luck on your applications
Well, I guess that I have to wait till next week for my post-interview GS rejection...
Original post by chemibiophy
who did the first round of hsbc summer internship commercial banking phone interview? willing to offer info on lazard barclays goldman jpm ubs!

why hsbc, competencies. nothing to trip you over

was on the program last year, lmk if you need more info.
Original post by Quinqqq
Well, I guess that I have to wait till next week for my post-interview GS rejection...

Why so certain its a rejection?
I've seen phrases similar to "the only use of a SW is to try to convert it to an internship", but logically I disagree.

Say there are 2 guys from top Unis applying for JPM IB, one guy had no relevant work experience, the other has SWs at say Blackrock and Rothschild (perhaps they didn't want to convert them).

The SWs would certainly be a positive on your CV showing long term commitment to the industry.
Original post by Quiet_Male
I've seen phrases similar to "the only use of a SW is to try to convert it to an internship", but logically I disagree.

Say there are 2 guys from top Unis applying for JPM IB, one guy had no relevant work experience, the other has SWs at say Blackrock and Rothschild (perhaps they didn't want to convert them).

The SWs would certainly be a positive on your CV showing long term commitment to the industry.

ugh, I thought this hypothetical ceteris paribas thing died with all the uni debates.. are you gonna apply it to summers now too? SWs are name brand boosts and Internship funnels, they aren't experience and aren't meant to be looked on as experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ugh, I thought this hypothetical ceteris paribas thing died with all the uni debates.. are you gonna apply it to summers now too? SWs are name brand boosts and Internship funnels, they aren't experience and aren't meant to be looked on as experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if you don't convert, you've basically wasted a week?
Reply 6673

Unless you enjoy it..
But if you hate banking, than you had nothing to do there in the first place.

If I was a recruiter for Summer I'd look at non-conversion SW and question it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Call it experience or a brand name boost the guys reading your CV dont care. It's fleshing our your CV with brand name finance.

Besides, there's a chance that people may convert their SW but fancy applying to a more reputable place anyway.

E.g. I wanna work at a BB IB, so if I get the SW from Roths/Blackrock/Fidelity I'd likely use it as CV boosters rather than intern pipelines.
Alright so clearly SWs are not work exp. What kind of work exp do you guys do?
Original post by sinatraa
Alright so clearly SWs are not work exp. What kind of work exp do you guys do?

It differs somewhat between banks but usually it's a mix of networking opportunities and training and workshop related activities. Basically the banks want you to get a positive picture of them.

GS conversion rates for IBD anyone? :smile:
My uni doesn't have investment society. What can I join in Essex/London to get experience and show that I am involved?
Do we reckon all the GS offers have gone out already?

Latest

Trending

Trending