Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Throughout my first year for economics, I have been getting straight Bs in my macroeconomics tests and Cs and Ds in my microeconomics.

Though my teachers feel I have a sufficient amount of knowledge within the subject, they also feel that my exam technique is quite poor.

Has anybody got any tips or tricks as to how I could not only manage my time much more effectively, but also answer questions in a more succinct fashion?

Our department is making us do economics through edexcel where the tests we will do has a different layout as to what it had been previously. Is it still worth doing past papers on offer even when the number of marks awarded per question is different to what will be set in the upcoming AS exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kt21)
    Throughout my first year for economics, I have been getting straight Bs in my macroeconomics tests and Cs and Ds in my microeconomics.

Though my teachers feel I have a sufficient amount of knowledge within the subject, they also feel that my exam technique is quite poor.

Has anybody got any tips or tricks as to how I could not only manage my time much more effectively, but also answer questions in a more succinct fashion?

Our department is making us do economics through edexcel where the tests we will do has a different layout as to what it had been previously. Is it still worth doing past papers on offer even when the number of marks awarded per question is different to what will be set in the upcoming AS exams?
    You can use previous Edexcel questions and change the marks to fit the next specification. Exam technique can only improve by practicing more past paper questions, look at the mark scheme for the new specification and check where you are losing marks.

ReputationRep:
    Come on Econ is easy on A level. AQA is way easier than Edexcel, but OCR is more difficult than Edexcel. Practice past papers.

ReputationRep:
    B l t
    Because leads to therefore
    Use this in longer answers
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William Pitt)
    Come on Econ is easy on A level. AQA is way easier than Edexcel, but OCR is more difficult than Edexcel. Practice past papers.
    Different students have different abilities. If you are referring to the previous specification, how are you assessing difficulty? I personally think that the level of difficulty and assessment is similar across the boards and wouldn't put AQA as easier or OCR as more difficult. If your comment is linked to the new specification, more assessment material is needed to make a judgment.

ReputationRep:
    You must understand the past year papers are following some trend, and you must understand the concepts fully to answer the questions well. I scored 100 percentile in economics, feel free to ask for my insight by whatsapping to 0149110523.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.