Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm getting a bit desperate from having no idea of what sorts of mathematics would be present in this degree, or what minimum of maths could one get away with in this degree or just any other general degree in economics.

Industrial Economics generally seems like an economics degree focused on how economics applies to businesses and just general microeconomics. It does not seem to involve a whole lot of mathematics, but mostly sociology/business management/general economic theories. So it seems like more of an essay based degree focused on the use of logic and past events and some basic maths and a few numbers.

Would any of you say that economics cannot be just as light on maths as A-level Economics? I find it extremely easy and the maths is very easy to understand due to it being applied to something, as opposed to IGCSE Maths.

And would you say Industrial Economics in specific would be just a nice combination of Economics and Business that does not involve any serious amount of maths, at least as compared to A Level Economics and Business? I find A level Economics and Business very easy and fun, but IGCSE Maths (albeit more difficult than GCSE Maths) was hell to me.

Is there no way to get some very in depth look at what students would be doing at university in terms of the actual theory/maths that would be studied?

Some opinions on this would be hugely appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Bumping this thread. Also interested in feedback from current students studying Industrial Econ at Nottingham. Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glebp)
    Bumping this thread. Also interested in feedback from current students studying Industrial Econ at Nottingham. Cheers!
    I've found out you can look at their modules on http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...economics.aspx

You can then google each of the units and some of the first google results should be from the nottingham website.

The degree includes a whole lot of maths, so I've already ruled it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caius Filimon G)
    I've found out you can look at their modules on http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...economics.aspx

You can then google each of the units and some of the first google results should be from the nottingham website.

The degree includes a whole lot of maths, so I've already ruled it out.
    Bumping this thread. Have you firmed this course? I have taken a look at the modules and its mostly simple calculus, quite easy to learn, so looks pleasing overall.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.