Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, as the title suggests I am considering summer internships alongside my Masters thesis, here's my background:

I'm currently studying an MA at Cardiff University in Ethnomusicology (Essentially a mash up between musicology and anthropology, my expertise is in Guinean music), and working at the Student's Union as a barman. I've been managing fine so far achieving good, consistent grades and managing enough hours at work to survive! As I'm 100% financially independent I've been having to work 18-25 hours a week to cover my fees and living expenses, my employer is fortunately incredibly flexible.

The downside is because my work is at the Student's Union I'm in limbo somewhat for the summer. Whilst it is definitely open, my hours depend on the number of students who wish to work over the summer, how busy the union is (last year it was dead), and the mercy of my bosses allocating me shifts! The number of variables means this is not an appealing proposition, however much I do enjoy working there.

This leaves me three options:

Remain at the SU and hope for the best
    Find another part-time dead end job instead of/alongside the Union
    Try to get on a summer internship

My question pretty much asks: will I die of exhaustion if I were to get on a summer internship?

I'm pretty open to the idea of working anywhere businessy in the private sector, perhaps in finance or auditing (my dreams of arts jobs are long dead, the pay is bad and the prospects are worse!), an internship has it's obvious benefits in that regard.

My dissertation work gears up on 13th May (well, my final stage 1 deadline occurs then anyway!), and ends on the 7th of September. During this time I will have no contact hours barring the occasional skype call with my supervisor who will be away. My shifts at the Union are likely to dry up around mid-June.

I apologise for the length of this post, I just thought it would be best to get all of my thoughts out there, and I thank anyone who responds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghandia)

I'm pretty open to the idea of working anywhere businessy in the private sector, perhaps in finance or auditing (my dreams of arts jobs are long dead, the pay is bad and the prospects are worse!), an internship has it's obvious benefits in that regard.

My dissertation work gears up on 13th May (well, my final stage 1 deadline occurs then anyway!), and ends on the 7th of September. During this time I will have no contact hours barring the occasional skype call with my supervisor who will be away. My shifts at the Union are likely to dry up around mid-June.

I apologise for the length of this post, I just thought it would be best to get all of my thoughts out there, and I thank anyone who responds!
    Certain internships pay very well, and you may actually find that you'll be making more money working as an intern.

As you seem quite indifferent to where you work, I would recommend looking into Audit. It's a very good career choice for people such as yourself who are unsure as to where they 'fit in' and you'll learn some valuable skills should you ever wish to run your own business one day (or even transfer to an industry you feel is better suited). Unlike other careers, you also don't require specific undergraduate degree to work in it. To give you an idea, an audit intern at a Big 4 can earn anywhere between £18,000 - £20,000 pro rata. Naturally, this varies but these are the figures I've found based on my own research.

ReputationRep:
    Leaving aside the financial aspect for a moment, if you were to get a fulltime summer internship I've no doubts that doing it alongside the master's will be intense. However, it's far from impossible, and many others have done it or similar things while writing the MA diss.

The key will be maintaining discipline in keeping the academic side of things up - you'll need to spend many of your evenings and weekends on the thesis in order to get it finished in time, even when you want to collapse in a heap at the end of a work day. Some people have the focus and discipline to do that, others don't, and you'll need to be honest with yourself.

Other than that, make sure you do as much preparation as possible before you start working. Try have most of your secondary reading done, and make a clear plan of action with deadlines and milestones, to keep yourself on track so you don't find your manically pulling all-nighters close to the deadline.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.