Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I hope you can help.

My girlfriend is from Lithuania and has been living in the the UK for 5 years, in Scotland for 4 years, and has been working and studying all that time. Having graduated from one course, she is looking to go back to university. She has her application for tuition fees (which she is prepared to self-fund), but we are uncertain as to where she stands when applying for a student loan.

If anyone has any experience with this, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Condooo)
    Hi all, I hope you can help.

My girlfriend is from Lithuania and has been living in the the UK for 5 years, in Scotland for 4 years, and has been working and studying all that time. Having graduated from one course, she is looking to go back to university. She has her application for tuition fees (which she is prepared to self-fund), but we are uncertain as to where she stands when applying for a student loan.

If anyone has any experience with this, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If she already has a bachelors degree even if self funded then the government don't generally fund second degrees, sorry.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    If she already has a bachelors degree even if self funded then the government don't generally fund second degrees, sorry.
    Is there something from SFE that says you are precluded from applying if you are already a graduate, but have neve used up any SFE funding.

OP didnt make it cclear what sort of degree it was i.e could have been a masters? PGL?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Is there something from SFE that says you are precluded from applying if you are already a graduate, but have neve used up any SFE funding.

OP didnt make it cclear what sort of degree it was i.e could have been a masters? PGL?
    Yes there is, unless it meets the ELQ rule so for example you have a level 5 qualification and want to top it up to a Bachelors. I think it applies even if you have studied abroad. I could be wrong but i dont think scotland is bring in the postgraduate loan (i know wales definitely isnt but then we do have fee grants when doing undergrad study so have less debt than english students).
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Apologies I sometimes forget to read which section this is in. Just saw the Scotland bit now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Are you referring to tuition fees, or a student loan? Going back to university, she will be paying her own tuition fees. When you say the government doesn't fund second degrees, how does this work and in terms of student loans?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Condooo)
    Are you referring to tuition fees, or a student loan? Going back to university, she will be paying her own tuition fees. When you say the government doesn't fund second degrees, how does this work and in terms of student loans?
    I was referring to both, If you already have a bachelors degree then the government gives you no funding in most circumstances, even if it was studied in a different country.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.