Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a second-year zoology student. Is it possible to change from zoology to veterinary science? Do I need to make a Ucas application in order to enter to Vet degree? My university offers a Vet medicine degree.

ReputationRep:
    No, It's not possible to transfer. You would have to drop out and apply to start VetMed from year 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimiliana)
    I'm a second-year zoology student. Is it possible to change from zoology to veterinary science? Do I need to make a Ucas application in order to enter to Vet degree? My university offers a Vet medicine degree.
    Not normally, you would need to re-apply for vet rather than transfer. You could do it as a second degree instead.
    It might be worth checking with the vet school office at your university but its unlikely you will be able to to start vet med without dropping out of your current degree and re-applying

ReputationRep:
    You can't transfer from one degree to vet med. You have to drop out of your current degree and apply through ucas for the veterinary medicine course, and you will have to go through the same route as every other applicant and be interviewed to gain an offer. There is no such thing as being able to transfer into vet med - it just doesn't happen.
    You can either complete your current degree and apply as a graduate student - this means you would have to pay your tuition fees for vet med yourself if you got in. This will cost you a minimum of £9000 a year. There are no student loans available for a second degree in veterinary medicine, so this is a route which must be thought about fully before going down, you'll be asked at interview how you plan on paying for a second degree. The other option you have is to drop out of your current degree and apply in October. This means you will get funding for the vet med course, although some unis may question why you've dropped out of your current degree and whether you can be fully committed to a full time degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.