The Student Room Group

Are there any other doctorate/PhD students out there?

I am hoping to start a PhD research degree in a year or two, assuming i pass my B.A. maybe M.A. and get my proposal accepted. I just wanted to know are there any other post graduates who have been through this experience, and have you got any good tips for putting together a good research proposal??
Reply 1
Original post by john2054
I am hoping to start a PhD research degree in a year or two, assuming i pass my B.A. maybe M.A. and get my proposal accepted. I just wanted to know are there any other post graduates who have been through this experience, and have you got any good tips for putting together a good research proposal??

It depends on the subject (?) you are applying for and also whether a statement of interest is needed (often for doctoral training programmes) or a full proposal. The most important thing is to demonstrate why your research would be an original contribution to the knowledge within your discipline.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Slide100
It depends on the subject (?) you are applying for and also whether a statement of interest is needed (often for doctoral training programmes) or a full proposal. The most important thing is to demonstrate why your research would be an original contribution to the knowledge within your discipline.

okay thanks slide, i don't actually feel comfortable sharing any more information about the details of my application on here, in case someone else steals them. so i will pm you thanks.
Two years is a long time in advance to start thinking of PhD proposals. Your field will have moved forward in the mean time and your interests may have changed especially if you haven't yet finished your undergrad degree and may want to do a masters. The first thing to do is to identify someone who is willing to supervise you. They will be able to tell you if what you're thinking of doing is interesting and suitable for a PhD. They will also have advice about funding options and application processes.
As others have said, wait until a bit closer to the time before formulating your proposal. Things will have been published which could change your approach, or even make you decide you don't want to pursue a particular topic. Of course, stay up to date with the literature in your field, and keep an eye out for potential topics while reading; attend talks and lectures, ask questions, and so on. Basically, be engaged in your subject, and when you come to write a proposal you should be in a good position.

Also, while I can understand your nerves about sharing research areas online, I think that, coming from the vantage point of someone who is finishing up a PhD, the vast majority of potential PhD topics are much less original than students would like to think, so I wouldn't be too scared of sharing the basics with people :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by alleycat393
Two years is a long time in advance to start thinking of PhD proposals. Your field will have moved forward in the mean time and your interests may have changed especially if you haven't yet finished your undergrad degree and may want to do a masters. The first thing to do is to identify someone who is willing to supervise you. They will be able to tell you if what you're thinking of doing is interesting and suitable for a PhD. They will also have advice about funding options and application processes.

Original post by gutenberg
As others have said, wait until a bit closer to the time before formulating your proposal. Things will have been published which could change your approach, or even make you decide you don't want to pursue a particular topic. Of course, stay up to date with the literature in your field, and keep an eye out for potential topics while reading; attend talks and lectures, ask questions, and so on. Basically, be engaged in your subject, and when you come to write a proposal you should be in a good position.

Also, while I can understand your nerves about sharing research areas online, I think that, coming from the vantage point of someone who is finishing up a PhD, the vast majority of potential PhD topics are much less original than students would like to think, so I wouldn't be too scared of sharing the basics with people :tongue:

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments The first thing i would like to say is that i have already started conversations with a couple of supervisors already, one who has told me to wait and the other told me to dive right in.

Especially considering that my proposal is going to have nothing to do with the masters i am taking in september, but everything to do with my dissertation this autumn semester, i am very tempted to put the appilcation in early. There is even a chance that i will be accepted now, with the option to continue to do my masters this year, and defer my doctorate until the year after. Or perhaps i will choose to take up a proposal right away?

With regards to the funding, I have already started to research this matter, and understand that the funding is allocated out on a college by college basis, so rather than get too worked up about the niceties, I should focus on the proposal first, and make sure that that is secure, before worrying about anything else. And whilst it is true that i may have changed my mind over the whole thing, in the future, actually my unique experience and insight in to the medicalisation and oppression which goes on behind closed doors, gives me ample room to discuss this situation, and work it up in to some sort of report. Presumably the sooner rather than the later.

Please feel free to pm me if you want to have an individual discussion, otherwise, thanks again! John R.
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments The first thing i would like to say is that i have already started conversations with a couple of supervisors already, one who has told me to wait and the other told me to dive right in.

Especially considering that my proposal is going to have nothing to do with the masters i am taking in september, but everything to do with my dissertation this autumn semester, i am very tempted to put the appilcation in early. There is even a chance that i will be accepted now, with the option to continue to do my masters this year, and defer my doctorate until the year after. Or perhaps i will choose to take up a proposal right away?

With regards to the funding, I have already started to research this matter, and understand that the funding is allocated out on a college by college basis, so rather than get too worked up about the niceties, I should focus on the proposal first, and make sure that that is secure, before worrying about anything else. And whilst it is true that i may have changed my mind over the whole thing, in the future, actually my unique experience and insight in to the medicalisation and oppression which goes on behind closed doors, gives me ample room to discuss this situation, and work it up in to some sort of report. Presumably the sooner rather than the later.

Please feel free to pm me if you want to have an individual discussion, otherwise, thanks again! John R.

You sound like you've made up your mind and have done some research so good luck. Just a quick point, unless you have your own funds, I think finding funding is the most important thing because good proposals usually go through the application process with little to no problems but you can't start work without funding.
Especially considering that my proposal is going to have nothing to do with the masters i am taking in september?

Then why are you doing it?
Reply 8
Original post by macromicro
Then why are you doing it?

i am doing the masters in education, and the phd in something else which interests me. Also my ba has been in sociology and theatre studies, again another subject which interests me.

Obviously my aim after all of this is to go in to investment banking, and make my first million by the time i am 45 (obviously).

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending