Jun:28.... PHY6.. how was it?? Watch

This discussion is closed.
BossLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
But in the question it told you they both produced energies of something like 20MeV so that won't be a marking point.

I got a sine wave for the dynamo - anyone else?
Oddly enough i also put a sine wave for the dynamo, i figured the induced 'I' should rise and fall, and would change from +ve to -ve, +ve to -ve, cuz of the magnet changing direc relative to the field ie going towards it and then away (to cut da flux), or something like that.
Hoofbeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
Oddly enough i also put a sine wave for the dynamo, i figured the induced 'I' should rise and fall, and would change from +ve to -ve, +ve to -ve, cuz of the magnet changing direc relative to the field ie going towards it and then away (to cut da flux), or something like that.
That's basically what I thought too. Glad someone else agrees with me - a straight line graph seemed too damn obvious!
Resonance
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yep.
S1M
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
i did a cos wave... but im sure it depends on if the magnet was already rotating before and which position it is in at the instance the graph starts... i think cos wave might still get me the marks for that
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I put a straight line... as i thought that as the bike was at a constant speed the current would be constant
crana
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
But in the question it told you they both produced energies of something like 20MeV so that won't be a marking point.

It doesn't mean that VdG *couldn't* be used to produce higher-energy/different energy particles. I think it actually said only the radioactive source had particles with energy 2MeV.. but am not sure.
Zaphod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Isn't the output on a dynamo always DC because of the commutator though? :confused:
crana
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
bugger, I just looked it up and yes the dynamo output graph is definitely "wiggly"

Another question down the drain.
yipee
Report 14 years ago
yeh it is a sin graph, just looked it up...damn i put a straight line with a negative gradient..
MalaysianDude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i thought the paper was kinda simple although not as simple as jan 2004

the only mistake i made for the entire paper was the calculation at where you were supposed to find the k value...to those taking medical physics...its like finding the coefficient of reflection but without the square root...
i rooted it...cause i was thinking that it was the reflection coeeficient from medical physics...read the thing wrongly...and therefore my graph went wild !!..

but oh well..the rest was just nice....btw...why does the picture has a shadow on the right side??anyone knows???i explained in terms of frequency
crana
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MalaysianDude)
anyways about the graph thing...id have to say that the graph would hav ea straight line but at the negative gradient...how do i know that??i refered to the formula and noticed a negative sign there and basically put it as the negative gradient...and that im 100% sure thats the answer...
Unfortunately, you are 100% wrong there if you are referring to dynamo output. Look it up in a textbook - it's a wave.

rosie.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought it was a good paper, one of the best suited to me, could have been much worse.
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crana)
bugger, I just looked it up and yes the dynamo output graph is definitely "wiggly"

Another question down the drain.
I got my dynamo graph as a sine curve but slightly skewed, the gradient raises slowly but drops down towards the ordinate quite steeply? Is that what the pic shows in the textbook? :confused:
crana
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmin)
I got my dynamo graph as a sine curve but slightly skewed, the gradient raises slowly but drops down towards the ordinate quite steeply? Is that what the pic shows in the textbook? :confused:

well lol it was in my gcse physics revision guide so its not particularly detailed, but in the piccy it looks like each up & down bit (n or u shapes) are symmetrical
S1M
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought it was a good paper, one of the best suited to me, could have been much worse.
hey mysticmin... i thought the same...
funny that the question you asked me yesterday came up :suspicious:
i think the cyclotron bit is just stuck there so it wont look suspicious
lol

(im joking... its quite a common topic... before mysticmin's house gets raided )
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crana)
well lol it was in my gcse physics revision guide so its not particularly detailed, but in the piccy it looks like each up & down bit (n or u shapes) are symmetrical
Damn, I thought the current induced would be stronger the nearer the pole of the magnet was to the solenoid because of a stronger magnetic flux. Urgh, another wrong fact.

Thanks S1M Perhaps I'm just psychic? Nah, I was hectically revising during my 2 hr break between economics and physics, psychic I am not...
crana
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
Damn, I thought the current induced would be stronger the nearer the pole of the magnet was to the solenoid because of a stronger magnetic flux. Urgh, another wrong fact.
you could be right i spose? I mean it is only GCSE after all that the book showed.
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crana)
you could be right i spose? I mean it is only GCSE after all that the book showed.
I don't have that much faith in graphs I deduce
S1M
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thanks S1M Perhaps I'm just psychic? Nah, I was hectically revising during my 2 hr break between economics and physics, psychic I am not...
lol... im just kidding with ya... thanks... i would not have gone over it in as much detail if it wasn't for you you got me some marks
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by S1M)
lol... im just kidding with ya... thanks... i would not have gone over it in as much detail if it wasn't for you you got me some marks
Yay! That paper was lucky, it didn't ask me anything to do with the rather large holes in my synoptic knowledge
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads