Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I need to buy a new laptop for my physics degree im not sure I I want to take notes on paper or on a laptop but this means I may need a laptop that I can write on the screen of because of all the maths etc
    I also noticed most people at the uni has MacBooks but I have no idea what to do any suggestions please!!!
    EDIT
    ok so I've been asked for a check list orf sorts so
    Possibly a touch screen but I'm not 100% sure
    Needs to be light and easy to carry in a rucksack
    Good battery life
    Budget isn't too high but £500 ish could go more
    If it as the capacity to edit photos it would be great
    Thanks in advance!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by K3igh3r)
    Hey! I need to buy a new laptop for my physics degree im not sure I I want to take notes on paper or on a laptop but this means I may need a laptop that I can write on the screen of because of all the maths etc
    I also noticed most people at the uni has MacBooks but I have no idea what to do any suggestions please!!!
    Just moved this over to a more appropriate section for you in the hope you get some more answers!

What sort of budget do you have?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    You have to write down a list of all the things you want from your computer. Just for revision? Games? Need it to be touch screen? Etc etc etc, also a budget is handy.

Then us computer nerds can help you out :P

Microsoft Surface Pro 4
    Microsoft Surface Book (if you can afford it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Microsoft Surface Pro 4
    Microsoft Surface Book (if you can afford it)
    Would not advise the surface, give me 5 mins to finish something then I will come with a good list

(Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Would not advise the surface, give me 5 mins to finish something then I will come with a good list
    Ah ok...it's just a physics teacher in my school raves about it and he always uses it in lessons...

ReputationRep:
    MacBook Pro
    MacBook Air
    HP Spectre
    Dell XPS
    Lenovo Yoga
    ASUS Zenbook

All of the above are portable and relatively powerful. Check them out.

Good Luck at your new uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Ah ok...it's just a physics teacher in my school raves about it and he always uses it in lessons...
    I mean they are ok but price for performance they are really expensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nurne)
    MacBook Pro
    MacBook Air
    HP Spectre
    Dell XPS
    Lenovo Yoga 3
    ASUS Zenbook

All of the above are portable and relatively powerful. Check them out.

Good Luck at your new uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would not advise any of those either, macs are overpriced and so are the rest.

ReputationRep:
    HP Pavilion 15 These are probably something you want to take a look at. there are different models that are geared towards different things.

ReputationRep:
    You should buy something from the HP Pavilion range

ReputationRep:
    HP Pavilion 15 These are probably something you want to take a look at. there are different models that are geared towards different things.
    Hey thanks for the reply can you reconmend any specific model? It's important for me to have a lightweight laptop

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for the reply can you reconmend any specific model? It's important for me to have a lightweight laptop

Well all of them are lightweight and have a good enough specs for doing basic things.

Do you want Either Something better at running games
    Something More powerful in general.
    Something with more storage.
    or just the cheapest?

ReputationRep:
    Another Idea to consider is a thinkpad, If you prefer something with no bloatware and to be running windows 7 you really should take a look at them

ReputationRep:
    Well all of them are lightweight and have a good enough specs for doing basic things.

Do you want Either Something better at running games
    Something More powerful in general.
    Something with more storage.
    or just the cheapest?
    I'm not really a game person just something with good storange and battery life

ReputationRep:
    http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Pr...FckS0wodCAgGsA

Something like this should be fine, you can choose the colour you want.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Pr...FckS0wodCAgGsA

Something like this should be fine, you can choose the colour you want.
    Good suggestion - I've got the i7 version of a very similar HP laptop and it is a good performer. I chose to purchase a new laptop in order to condemn an older laptop (with overheating issues) and so far, so good. Despite it coming with windows 10, I've decided to dual boot with Windows 7; Windows 7 doesn't have as high a system requirement in terms of graphics, so the Intel HD 4400 can run basic games nicely in fullscreen mode (Windows 10 struggled on playing fullscreen games, or outright refused to go fullscreen). This also helps to maintain my older programs; some legacy programs won't run nicely on 10, yet they run fine on 7. Some even older programs struggle on 7 as well, so I have Windows XP Mode at the ready for those programs.
    Furthermore, I'm impressed with the efficiency of the laptop - meaning that the 4 cell battery does actually provide a half decent runtime (4-6 hours). Although in the future, an upgrade to 6-cell or 8-cell would be nice

Also, my laptop doesn't have a VGA port, although the one in the link does. That's not an issue for me, as a simple HDMI to VGA converter has got that sorted, so I can still use my old 15 inch TV as a second monitor

ReputationRep:
    EDIT
    ok so I've been asked for a check list orf sorts so
    Possibly a touch screen but I'm not 100% sure
    Needs to be light and easy to carry in a rucksack
    Good battery life
    Budget isn't too high but £500 ish could go more
    If it as the capacity to edit photos it would be great
    Thanks in advance!!
    Going by your requirements (note taking/touch screen/light/good battery life/some photo editing), I'd say you probably don't even need a laptop. It sounds like a tablet would suffice, with a keyboard if you want to feel response when typing. iPad's are nice, but the lack of SD card option/higher gb prices is something to consider. You could always use cloud based storage/note taking apps (like google docs/sheets) to save space :-)
    If you were set on a laptop, given your requirements I would suggest at least;
    4GB RAM (If you want light use of photo editing apps such photoshop etc, look at the RAM requirements). You would been fine with 4GB RAM, but heavier photo editing may/will take more dependent on use, so 8GB RAM should be ok for that (You don't want to run out of RAM & then your new laptop starts running like a potato).
    Processor: With the money you have, I'd aim for an i3 or i5, yes intel cost more than AMD, but I'd recommend Intel.
    HD: 750gb+
    SSD: Optional (I'd say preferable); if you can get similar specs with a SSD for slightly more £; get it.
    Graphics card: Not essential as you say you don't want it for gaming etc.
    OS: Whichever OS allows you to do the above & your future study work.

Once you find one; check product details/reviews for battery life & product weight.
    The last MacBook I had was a pro unibody; nice machine with backlit keyboard (great if you plan on night time typing, otherwise a plug in will be fine). Relatively easy to use, but as others state; they cost more in terms of what you're getting for your money. It's the price you pay for that light up apple;-))

PlGLET

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what sort of programs you'll be running at uni though? I would assume Physics requires software like Matlab which can struggle to run on a tablet (running Windows) or a low end Macbook. You will probably need at least 6GB RAM and at least an i3 is which is preferably not ultra low voltage, to run these programs smoothly.

Laptops in the 'business' range are almost always superior to the 'home/consumer' range.

For starters, the Asus Zenbook series are the best for ultra portability and design while the Lenovo Thinkpad T-series laptpps are the best for performance, durability (construction and water resistant keyboard), upgradeability and battery life (up to 16-19 hours) but are bulkier.

(these are just suggestions assuming you need to run that type of software).

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.