The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Hi everyone!

I thought I'd start a thread where we can all discuss the upcoming AQA chemistry exams this june!

Feel free to post here any questions or revision tips here

How is revision going? Or not going? :smile:

Dates:
Chem 4: June 14 2016
Chem 5: June 22 2016
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey!! Thanks so much for starting this!

I haven't even started revising yet.....hopefully the may half term will save my soul
p.s what do you find is the most useful textbook for chem??
Revision is going great :smile: I'm really scared about application questions though... I know there were some hard application questions in Unit 4 last year:redface:
Original post by haj101
Revision is going great :smile: I'm really scared about application questions though... I know there were some hard application questions in Unit 4 last year:redface:

I hated last years paper so much!! We did it as a mock in January. The benzene questions...and the proton NMR stufff....bleh.

What do you mean by application questions?
Original post by KateAteKarrots
p.s what do you find is the most useful textbook for chem??

Hey I think the offical AQA text book is actually quite good. Everyone raves about CGP but I don't think it has enough information to be honest...
Original post by wednesday_adams
I hated last years paper so much!! We did it as a mock in January. The benzene questions...and the proton NMR stufff....bleh.

What do you mean by application questions?

Yes I definitely agree, application questions are basically questions like the benzene one and Kw questions that make us apply our knowledge to more complex new questions.
They kinda throw me off- and seen as though we're the last year in this spec I'm thinking of the worst:redface:
Original post by haj101
Yes I definitely agree, application questions are basically questions like the benzene one and Kw questions that make us apply our knowledge to more complex new questions.
They kinda throw me off- and seen as though we're the last year in this spec I'm thinking of the worst:redface:

Ah yeah youre right! I miss the simple days of AS where they would just ask loads of definitions you could memorise :L

So glad we're not doing the new spec wbu?
Ah yeah youre right! I miss the simple days of AS where they would just ask loads of definitions you could memorise :L

So glad we're not doing the new spec wbu?

So true!! Although I do feel Chem5 has a lot of learning and memorizing too :smile:
Yeah I'm glad we're not *big sigh*:h:
Original post by haj101
So true!! Although I do feel Chem5 has a lot of learning and memorizing too :smile:
Yeah I'm glad we're not *big sigh*:h:

yeah i much much much prefer chem 5 to chem 4 ngl
yeah i much much much prefer chem 5 to chem 4 ngl

Me too!! Aaaand the grade boundaries are a lot lower :biggrin:
Original post by haj101
Me too!! Aaaand the grade boundaries are a lot lower :biggrin:

yeah you're right! a lot of memorising though:///
yeah you're right! a lot of memorising though:///

Yes especially all the colors for Transition metals and equations... best way is repetition :smile:
Talking about colours, do we need to know the vanadium colours? and how many pp has everyone done so far I'm confused I should finish them or should keep them for near the exam?
Original post by koolgurl14
Talking about colours, do we need to know the vanadium colours? and how many pp has everyone done so far I'm confused I should finish them or should keep them for near the exam?

Not to my knowledge no, for the AQA spec.
Original post by haj101
Not to my knowledge no, for the AQA spec.

I thought so , the CGP book is horrible for unit 5 so much missing and stuff you don't need would not recommend it to anyone after I've done pp, its like it was copied from another exam board, so lazily made you can easily tell. Its really good for chem4 though.
Reply 16
I found the best revison resourse to be the physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/aqa-unit-4/ and physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/aqa-unit-5/ - on all of the topical revision notes and then topical past paper q's :smile:
Original post by koolgurl14
I thought so , the CGP book is horrible for unit 5 so much missing and stuff you don't need would not recommend it to anyone after I've done pp, its like it was copied from another exam board, so lazily made you can easily tell. Its really good for chem4 though.

I agree it's too brief and it doesn't help me understand I feel the same way with the biology CGP revision guide. I do however use it after I have revised to just fill in the gaps that I may have missed in revision..
How's everyone's revision going? I still need to properly go over unit 5 :'(
Original post by shiney101
How's everyone's revision going? I still need to properly go over unit 5 :'(

Revision is going well :smile: try to break down topic by topic, give yourself strict targets for each day and tick off the areas you have covered on the spec
You will be fine, all the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest