The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by K2Cr2O7
I put the same. I think because its in excess any change will be very small compared with how much there is. Is it like taking [H2O] out of Kw ?

After some googling found out that is right, reactant in excess eliminates it from the rate equation.
Original post by Hattie28
What did people put for the mechanism on the second question??

I think it was a nucleophilic addition? The O:- accepts a proton to form a hydroxyl group.
Original post by Examguy123
What everyone get for theire answers

For the ph one i got - 3.33
For the salt ethanoic one i got - 1.20
For the Kc one i got - 9.09x10^3?

I can confirm 1.20 and 9.09x10^-3
Original post by Cadherin
That wasn't too bad, just a bit unlike past papers and I was REALLY pushed for time. I finished as she said 'pens down'.

Did anyone else get the rate expression as exactly the same in the question?
Yes
Also, what was the reason for lidocaine hydrochloride? I said to prevent the N acting as a base by protonating it and so reduces side effects. I spent about 5 minutes looking for a chiral carbon in that compound to talk about enantiomers, but I couldn't see one!

Oh
I said it's a faster reaction (like ethanoyl chloride) therefore anaesthetic will work faster in the body
That wasn't too bad, just a bit unlike past papers and I was REALLY pushed for time. I finished as she said 'pens down'.

Did anyone else get the rate expression as exactly the same in the question?

Also, what was the reason for lidocaine hydrochloride? I said to prevent the N acting as a base by protonating it and so reduces side effects. I spent about 5 minutes looking for a chiral carbon in that compound to talk about enantiomers, but I couldn't see one!

For the lidocaine hydrochloride I put that the cl- makes it polar and that means it is soluble?! Really didn't know though!
Original post by scienceman
What were the reagents and conditions in the organic synthesis question?

Step 3 was KCN reflux in ethanol
LiAl4 in dry ether
Original post by High Stakes
Step 3 was a substitution question to go from Br to a CN group. So I said KCN aqueous and alcohol.

The final step was reduction, so Hydrogen & Nickel Catalyst.

was going to put both but it said only 1 condition so ijust put alcoholic. im sure both will be right too though
Original post by xambercx
Do you have nothing better to do?

I'm on here to compare my answer. Calm down, and don't talk to me.
For the Lidocaine, did anyone put that it could be dissolved in water so it is able to be injected into a specific area (as it was a local anaesthetic) and that a solid tablet would not focus on a specific area ?
Step 3 was a substitution question to go from Br to a CN group. So I said KCN aqueous and alcohol.

Thank you and to the others that responded.
Original post by Hattie28
What did people put for the mechanism on the second question??

i think nucleophilic addition because nothing was eliminated
Original post by haj101
Are you joking?😱

No it won't be hope, judging by how most people found it I think the grade boundaries will be much lower than previous years. Maybe around 80-85 for A* just a guesstimate...
Honestly never done a worse paper in my life
Original post by Rabadon
was going to put both but it said only 1 condition so ijust put alcoholic. im sure both will be right too though

I just wrote aqueous 😭😭😭
Original post by Scarly9
Very nearly it was ch3-o-ch2-ch2-c (ch3)2 (oh)

That is a tertiary alcohol and wouldn't turn a potassium dichromate solution green.
Original post by Agent R5
I put that but its wrong, that gives you a tertiary alcohol and it doesn't form a green ppt

Think we can stilll get marks for the workings if it cant we?
Original post by thehollowcrown
I think this is what I put:

KCN ethanolic aqueous solution

then

LiAlH4 ether

Agree
I agree. The only thing affecting Kc is temperature - thus rate will only depend on the differing ratio of propanone to protons.

Don't worry, others said they found it hard, I suspect 120 UMS will be no higher than 90.

Out of all the past papers from our spec the lowest that 120 UMS has ever been is 92 so I wouldn't bank on less than that

Original post by thehollowcrown
I think this is what I put:

KCN ethanolic aqueous solution

then

LiAlH4 ether

Original post by Joxnna_
ethanolic KCN and AlLiH4 in ether (or hydrogen with nickel catalyst)

Spot on.
Original post by Dizem.Tekin
Please someone say that exam was hard for them too... I started having a panic attack in there... It went horribly and I revised so much for this exam

that sucks mann, i didn't think it was that hard compared to previous years, personally i did quite well(aiming for a*, gotta do well in chem 5 too for that) i think in general there will be fairly high boundries, 2-3 up from last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending