The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

CH3-O-CH2-CH2-C(OH)(CH3)2
Did anyone else get this :frown:
Original post by j5994
someone please make an unofficial markscheme or post pictures of the paper coz i need to know how many marks i need in CHEM5 to bring my grade up to an E :'(

THIS MADE ME LAUGH .....mostly because I am in the same situation :cry2:
For the 6 mark Buffer question, did anyone get a pH of 4.56???

I subtracted moles of OH- added from the salt concentration, not sure if its right
surely for the suture one they have to allow both biodegradable so it can dissolve and that permanent dipole dipole means its stronger because both are an advantage and also, how are you to know that a stitch that dissolves is better when I've done a 2 year chem course not the 5 year med course im hoping to do doing after
for the acyl chloride you can say h20 cant you?
Original post by clarkey500
:beer: So is mine!!!
At least I've met (well spoken to) another Harry Clarke!
You're going to tell me your born in May or Bristol next!

Unfortunately, no :frown: hahaha
Original post by cowie
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465919833.201290.jpg This was the answer to the last question.. (I got it wrong and drew it as a tertiary alcohol:/
The integration value of 6 with the CH3 included the one on the left..)
How many marks would I loose for tertiary alcohol? I'd imagine 1 for not mentioning it having to be primary or secondary, 1 for wrong product and 2 probably for an error in my working that showed a segment of R-C(CH3)2OH..
So most likely -3/4 what do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I swear it was a tertiary alcohol? If you look at this, this was 7 hydrogen environments, whereas there were only 5 peaks, indicating 5 hydrogen environments, which the tertiary alcohol had. In any case, I have seen questions like this on OCR, so even if you get the structure wrong, you only lose 1 mark - they want to see how you work it out, not whether or not you reach the answer, so so long as you wrote out all your workings you'll still get like 8 marks
Original post by Capsicle102
I highly doubt for the isomer question you had to put which isotope of Cl you used for that question on the equation for splitting the isotope. Questions like that have come up before - the only reason they specify is to allow you to work out the structure, which is what the question was assessing. Typically the three marks available would be fore 1) the structure of the molecular ion radical (whether you remembered to put the positive and radical signs), 2) For the structure of the fragment ion, and 3) For the structure of the remaining radical

But it said in the question to specify which isotope you've used on the structures
Original post by Jojojuice
Yeah I got 9 too!! Pretty sure it's right because I checked it like 3 times

Was 9 the second box?
Why is lidocaine hydrochloride rather than lidocaine preferred to be used in medicine? Like wow
Original post by OloMed

I subtracted moles of OH- added from the salt concentration, not sure if its right

Good one😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Cadherin;65771023]Lidocaine I seem to remember?

Yup youre right!! Sh** >;(((((
I swear it was a tertiary alcohol? If you look at this, this was 7 hydrogen environments, whereas there were only 5 peaks, indicating 5 hydrogen environments, which the tertiary alcohol had. In any case, I have seen questions like this on OCR, so even if you get the structure wrong, you only lose 1 mark - they want to see how you work it out, not whether or not you reach the answer, so so long as you wrote out all your workings you'll still get like 8 marks

no it was either a secondary or primary alcohol.
Original post by randoms132
Do you by any chance Remember the name of the molecule? I need to find out because i re counted at least 3 times and i was pretty sure :-(

Lidocaine
Original post by OloMed

theres was a 6 mark buffer question? since when?
Original post by thehollowcrown
get me an OR because i think i have a brain aneurism

I need my MVP Bokhee as my scrub nurse on this cuz sh*t just got real

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OloMed

Was there a 6 mark Buffer question??

it can't be tertiary because it said it was oxidised in the question
Original post by Stevesteve12
Any chance the last question was unanswerable? It ldnt be the first time theyd messed a paper up. Has anyone got a correct answer yet?

Possibly! I kept get 12 H's instead of 14. Also did the spectrum show that it was a carboxylic acid whereas the individual peaks showed the O-H to be separate from the C=O
what was the answer to the question about 2 chiral carbons and stuff??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending