Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,
    I have desperately looking for work experience in a hospital and i have decided to write personal statement to few consultants directly in nhs
    so far I got:

I am writing to you this personal statement to secure a placement as part of my work experience and preparation for medicine, I understand your busy schedule as a doctor however, if you could take 10minutes of your valuable time and read my personal statement to offer me a placement– it could me a life changing opportunity for me.

Being grown in a poor country such as Bangladesh I seen the harsh reality of the poor and needy one’s, when I use to visit my grandma in the hospital there would be people on the floor crying abruptly for help, bodies lieing on the floor and families hoping for the bright glance of a doctor to save their loved ones, in Bangladesh about 400 people die every day from pneumonia because of lack of enough treatment, 46% of death in 2015 is caused by nutritional deficiency, at first I never payed too much attention to these figures.....
    what do i write next???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hard work)
    hey guys,
    I have desperately looking for work experience in a hospital and i have decided to write personal statement to few consultants directly in nhs
    so far I got:

I am writing to you this personal statement to secure a placement as part of my work experience and preparation for medicine, I understand your busy schedule as a doctor however, if you could take 10minutes of your valuable time and read my personal statement to offer me a placement– it could me a life changing opportunity for me.

Being grown in a poor country such as Bangladesh I seen the harsh reality of the poor and needy one’s, when I use to visit my grandma in the hospital there would be people on the floor crying abruptly for help, bodies lieing on the floor and families hoping for the bright glance of a doctor to save their loved ones, in Bangladesh about 400 people die every day from pneumonia because of lack of enough treatment, 46% of death in 2015 is caused by nutritional deficiency, at first I never payed too much attention to these figures.....
    what do i write next???
    You are right, they are busy, and they don't have time or interest to read lengthy "personal statements" from people just wanting a bit of work experience. There is no need to write more than a few lines saying that you are interested in a career in medicine and would like the opportunity to shadow them to learn more - and potentially give some dates when you would be free. No need to waffle about your childhood or health problems in Bangladesh. You should also brush up on your spelling and grammar before you send this off to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    You are right, they are busy, and they don't have time or interest to read lengthy "personal statements" from people just wanting a bit of work experience. There is no need to write more than a few lines saying that you are interested in a career in medicine and would like the opportunity to shadow them to learn more - and potentially give some dates when you would be free. No need to waffle about your childhood or health problems in Bangladesh. You should also brush up on your spelling and grammar before you send this off to anyone.
    okay, so should I say I would like to do a work shadowing week to explore more about the real world of medicine and find out hows is it like to be a doctor so if there is any opportunity then I will be grateful to receive it.
    Thats it?

ReputationRep:
    someone can please write me a short paragraph so i can use it as a example??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hard work)
    okay, so should I say I would like to do a work shadowing week to explore more about the real world of medicine and find out hows is it like to be a doctor so if there is any opportunity then I will be grateful to receive it.
    Thats it?
    Just tell them who you are, what stage you're at, why you want to do the placement and suggest some dates you could go in. No need to tell them your life story.

Draft out a version, have someone check the grammar, and then send it off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.