Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In C1, you get inequalties with very big numbers, I know you can times the first and last number to then to factorise, but it takes to long to think of numbers that times together to sub back in, so is there another way?

example
    9k^2 +4k -28
    or 4k^2 -9k-9 (not has hard but stil

ReputationRep:
    I have a pretty new method despite being in a2. nonetheless I firstly times 9 by 28 to get -252. No we know two factors of -252 are 9 and 28 but we can find more factors by splitting 9 and 28. Eg 3(3)x(14)2=252 or 3(3)x(-7)((2)(2) now seeing as that were multiplying everything we can mix and match to get (18)x(-14)=-252.

18 and -14 are the forget we are looking for. As we can add to 4

Pm. If you need further help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guls)
    I have a pretty new method despite being in a2. nonetheless I firstly times 9 by 28 to get -252. No we know two factors of -252 are 9 and 28 but we can find more factors by splitting 9 and 28. Eg 3(3)x(14)2=252 or 3(3)x(-7)((2)(2) now seeing as that were multiplying everything we can mix and match to get (18)x(-14)=-252.

18 and -14 are the forget we are looking for. As we can add to 4

Pm. If you need further help.
    find more factors by splitting 9 and 28. Eg 3(3)x(14)2=252 or 3(3)x(-7)((2)(2) now seeing as that were multiplying everything we can mix and match to get (18)x(-14)=-252.

I understand that when spliting, you just halfed the original numbers, however I don't get in the end where you got 18 from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am99)
    find more factors by splitting 9 and 28. Eg 3(3)x(14)2=252 or 3(3)x(-7)((2)(2) now seeing as that were multiplying everything we can mix and match to get (18)x(-14)=-252.

I understand that when spliting, you just halfed the original numbers, however I don't get in the end where you got 18 from?
    Take the two numbers and write them in their prime factorisation:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}9 \times 28 =2^2 \times 3^2  \times 7 = (2 \times 7) \times (2\times 3^2) = 14 \times (2 \times 9) = 14 \times 18 \end{equation*}

(with the negative signs, of course, I've ommitted them here.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am99)

You know 9 and 28 are factors, so you double the 9, and half the 28 to get 18 and 14

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am99)

To reiterate Zacken. Try writing all the primes: 2,2,3,3,7. Now to get 18 it's simply 3(3)(2).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Take the two numbers and write them in their prime factorisation:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}9 \times 28 =2^2 \times 3^2  \times 7 = (2 \times 7) \times (2\times 3^2) = 14 \times (2 \times 9) = 14 \times 18 \end{equation*}

(with the negative signs, of course, I've ommitted them here.)
    Okay, thank you !, that was very helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    You know 9 and 28 are factors, so you double the 9, and half the 28 to get 18 and 14
    Thank you, very simple explnation !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am99)
    Thank you, very simple explnation !
    No problem :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guls)
    To reiterate Zacken. Try writing all the primes: 2,2,3,3,7. Now to get 18 it's simply 3(3)(2).
    I understand now, Thank you for your help, good luck with your exams !

ReputationRep:
    You could always 'cheat' and use quadratic formula to find out one of the factors. And then for a quadratic it's very simple to find the other factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am99)
    In C1, you get inequalties with very big numbers, I know you can times the first and last number to then to factorise, but it takes to long to think of numbers that times together to sub back in, so is there another way?

example
    9k^2 +4k -28
    or 4k^2 -9k-9 (not has hard but stil
    have you learnt completing the square yet in class?

ReputationRep:
    You can always use the quadratic forumula. If the question is to factorise, find the roots then the factor will be (x-α)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am99)
    I understand now, Thank you for your help, good luck with your exams !
    Thanks and good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.