Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transitioning from one lifestyle to another...moving out and coping Watch

I've just moved out of my family home; where I grew up around family and friends- worked there, studied there at university, and I met my then girlfriend now fiancee there.

My hometown was a small seaside town, a very backward degenerate place, with many people tending to reside there and get married and live out their lives. A bit depressing. There wasn't much there for younger generations, high street stores were over-run by charity shops, council given less cash to develop the town.

The only thing I liked was the rolling green hills and countryside- which was really my escape. Where I lived before it was quiet, tranquil, picturesque and calming.

However, there was no employment graduate prospects (let alone for normal workers!), so with this I moved, to be with my fiancee about 150 miles across the country.

I've moved to an industrialised area, its ethically diverse, everyone is streetwise and I'm situated to a large northern city. I do find it intimidating, as I'm not used to multiculturalism (and that isn't intended to be racist). Where I am from everyone is calm, friendly, and its all very different.

Here, so far, people have been rude, people never ask how you are, politeness and manners is few and far between. When you do display manners its sort of frowned upon and people look at you like your an 'alien'. People are not interested in you- and I know this can be universally attributed to human nature, but I tend to notice it more here in larger built up areas.

The most depressing thing is the landscape, its basically a big concrete jungle here. It's littered, the air isn't as pure, and I have a sense of panic every time I walk down the street that I am going to get assaulted.

I want to be here, for the sake of my relationship, however, blending in will be an issue for me. I am socially awkward too...which adds to the problem.

I guess really I'm transitioning from having lived in a small town and villages (most of my life) to a big city.

Any tips?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've just moved out of my family home; where I grew up around family and friends- worked there, studied there at university, and I met my then girlfriend now fiancee there.

My hometown was a small seaside town, a very backward degenerate place, with many people tending to reside there and get married and live out their lives. A bit depressing. There wasn't much there for younger generations, high street stores were over-run by charity shops, council given less cash to develop the town.

The only thing I liked was the rolling green hills and countryside- which was really my escape. Where I lived before it was quiet, tranquil, picturesque and calming.

However, there was no employment graduate prospects (let alone for normal workers!), so with this I moved, to be with my fiancee about 150 miles across the country.

I've moved to an industrialised area, its ethically diverse, everyone is streetwise and I'm situated to a large northern city. I do find it intimidating, as I'm not used to multiculturalism (and that isn't intended to be racist). Where I am from everyone is calm, friendly, and its all very different.

Here, so far, people have been rude, people never ask how you are, politeness and manners is few and far between. When you do display manners its sort of frowned upon and people look at you like your an 'alien'. People are not interested in you- and I know this can be universally attributed to human nature, but I tend to notice it more here in larger built up areas.

The most depressing thing is the landscape, its basically a big concrete jungle here. It's littered, the air isn't as pure, and I have a sense of panic every time I walk down the street that I am going to get assaulted.

I want to be here, for the sake of my relationship, however, blending in will be an issue for me. I am socially awkward too...which adds to the problem.

I guess really I'm transitioning from having lived in a small town and villages (most of my life) to a big city.

Any tips?
    I moved from a little seaside town to a city for uni and it did take a while to adjust, one thing that helped was to know different routes so if i start feeling unsafe then i ll work a different way home. Many cities can have some great green space, i know its nothing compared to rolling fields and mountains but my local park is somewhere i like to go when i miss the countryside so definitely find out where your local park is.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.