Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I'm a mature student and I dropped out of college due to health reasons in February time. I am now being hounded by the college / student loans company that I owe them £3000 in fees.

What I don't understand is, I dropped out of college last year due to health issues and I didn't owe anything back at all, the college didn't ask for any fees. Why is this year different and why do I owe the college the full year of fees if I'm not attending the course due to illness?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You need to talk to the college and student finance. If you do indeed owe them £3000, you need to set up a repayment plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david09292)
    Hello all,

I'm a mature student and I dropped out of college due to health reasons in February time. I am now being hounded by the college / student loans company that I owe them £3000 in fees.

What I don't understand is, I dropped out of college last year due to health issues and I didn't owe anything back at all, the college didn't ask for any fees. Why is this year different and why do I owe the college the full year of fees if I'm not attending the course due to illness?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
    When you drop out mid-year, you will still owe a percentage of that year's tuition fees. How much you owe, depends on what point in the year you leave.

As Tiger Rag says, you need to start talking to both your college and SLC as it is possible that you owe one or both of them money outside the normal repayment terms (i.e. you start making small repayments as wage deductions once you're earning over £21,000). You'll usually find that if you have no or low income, they will agree a repayment plan which minimises the impact to you as far as possible.

Just as a note, if you leave college and don't go into a job, SLC will send a letter demanding to know how you're supporting yourself. That isn't anything to be worried about. Once you prove that you have little or no income, you won't hear from them again. Re-read what they've sent in case it's just that letter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.