The Student Room Group

Differentiation question

Ok so the first part of the question is x = 3sin y find DX/DY in terms of Y
I got 3cos y which is right, then it asked for me to find DY/DX in terms of Y, i then got 1/3 Sec Y, the next part is hence show DY/DX = 1/Root 9 - x to the power of 2, I cant do this part I dont know how to get from 1/3 Sec y to that?
Reply 1
Original post by SunDun111
Ok so the first part of the question is x = 3sin y find DX/DY in terms of Y
I got 3cos y which is right, then it asked for me to find DY/DX in terms of Y, i then got 1/3 Sec Y, the next part is hence show DY/DX = 1/Root 9 - x to the power of 2, I cant do this part I dont know how to get from 1/3 Sec y to that?

Hint: cos2(y)=1sin2(y)\cos^2(y)=1-\sin^2(y).
Reply 2
Original post by joostan
Hint: cos2(y)=1sin2(y)\cos^2(y)=1-\sin^2(y).

Ey but, isn't it asking me to get from 1/3 Sec y to 1/ Root 9 - x to the power of 2 ,
Reply 3
Ey but, isn't it asking me to get from 1/3 Sec y to 1/ Root 9 - x to the power of 2 ,

Yes, but sec(y)=1cos(y)\sec(y)=\dfrac{1}{\cos(y)}. . .
Also worth noting that af(x)=a2f(x)a\sqrt{f(x)}=\sqrt{a^2f(x)}.
Reply 4
Original post by joostan
Yes, but sec(y)=1cos(y)\sec(y)=\dfrac{1}{\cos(y)}. . .

I understand, but I'm asking what is the question asking of me? Is it asking me to rearrrange DY/DX in terms of Y to in terms of X?
Reply 5

The question wants you to go from dydx=13cosy\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{3\cos y} into dy/dx as a function of x using the fact that x=3sinyx = 3\sin y
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
The question wants you to go from dydx=13secy\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{3\sec y} into dy/dx as a function of x using the fact that x=3sinyx = 3\sin y

Right thanks!
Reply 7
Right thanks!

Do you now understand Joostan's (excellent) advice and can apply it here?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Do you know understand Joostan's (excellent) advice and can apply it here?

First time i've heard it but trying to,
Reply 9
First time i've heard it but trying to,

Got it?
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
Got it?

Unforunatley not, i understand the concept and have done other questions like this just now, but this particular one I am struggling to re-arrange, I will ask my teacher when I go back on Monday
Reply 11
Unforunatley not, i understand the concept and have done other questions like this just now, but this particular one I am struggling to re-arrange, I will ask my teacher when I go back on Monday

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\frac{1}{3\cos y} = \frac{1}{3\sqrt{1 - \sin^2 y}} \end{equation*}

since cos2y+sin2y=1cos2y=1sin2ycosy=1sin2y\cos^2 y + \sin^2 y = 1 \Rightarrow \cos^2 y = 1 - \sin^2 y \Rightarrow \cos y = \sqrt{1 - \sin^2 y}

Now you know that x=3sinyx = 3\sin y so x3=siny\frac{x}{3} = \sin y and sin2y=x29\sin^2 y = \frac{x^2}{9}.

Plug this back into the centered equation and remember that 31sin2y99sin2y3\sqrt{1 -\sin^2 y} \equiv \sqrt{9 - 9\sin^2 y}.
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\frac{1}{3\cos y} = \frac{1}{3\sqrt{1 - \sin^2 y}} \end{equation*}

since cos2y+sin2y=1cos2y=1sin2ycosy=1sin2y\cos^2 y + \sin^2 y = 1 \Rightarrow \cos^2 y = 1 - \sin^2 y \Rightarrow \cos y = \sqrt{1 - \sin^2 y}

Now you know that x=3sinyx = 3\sin y so x3=siny\frac{x}{3} = \sin y and sin2y=x29\sin^2 y = \frac{x^2}{9}.

Plug this back into the centered equation and remember that 31sin2y99sin2y3\sqrt{1 -\sin^2 y} \equiv \sqrt{9 - 9\sin^2 y}.

Thanks I got it right, quick question
i am solving the equation 1 - 2ln X I took the 2lnx to the other side, and E'd both sides so i got
E to the power of 1 = 2x
Is the answer e/2?
Reply 13
Thanks I got it right, quick question
i am solving the equation 1 - 2ln X I took the 2lnx to the other side, and E'd both sides so i got
E to the power of 1 = 2x
Is the answer e/2?

No you didn't.

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}1 - 2\ln x = 0 \Rightarrow 1= 2\ln x \Rightarrow e^1 = e^{2\ln x} \Rightarrow e = e^{\ln x^2} \Rightarrow x^2 = e \Rightarrow \cdots \end{equation*}

It is not the case that ealnf(x)=af(x)e^{a \ln f(x)} = a f(x).

It is the case that ealnf(x)=elnf(x)a=f(x)ae^{a\ln f(x)} = e^{\ln f(x)^a} = f(x)^a.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
No you didn't.

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}1 - 2\ln x = 0 \Rightarrow 1= 2\ln x \Rightarrow e^1 = e^{2\ln x} \Rightarrow e = e^{\ln x^2} \Rightarrow x^2 = e \Rightarrow \cdots \end{equation*}

It is not the case that ealnf(x)=af(x)e^{a \ln f(x)} = a f(x) it is the case that ealnf(x)=elnf(x)a=f(x)ae^{a\ln f(x)} = e^{\ln f(x)^a} = f(x)^a.

I see where I've gone wrong thanks
Reply 15
I see where I've gone wrong thanks

No problem.
Reply 16
Original post by Zacken
No problem.

Sorry for all the questions, doing a lot of revision today

This question is the curve has the equation (x to the power of 2 - 4x +1)e to the minus x, Dy/DX it and find the points,

Dy/dx should be minus e to the minus x (x to the power of 2 - 4x +1) + e to the minus x (2x - 2) = 0 how would I solve this?
Reply 17
Sorry for all the questions, doing a lot of revision today

This question is the curve has the equation (x to the power of 2 - 4x +1)e to the minus x, Dy/DX it and find the points,

Dy/dx should be minus e to the minus x (x to the power of 2 - 4x +1) + e to the minus x (2x - 2) = 0 how would I solve this?

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}e^{-x}(x^2 - 4x + 1) + e^{-x}(2x - 2) = e^{-x}(x^2 - 4x + 2x - 2) = 0\end{equation*}

So ex=0e^{-x} = 0 (no solutions) or x24x+2x2=0x^2 - 4x + 2x - 2 = 0 (two solutions).

Quick Reply

Latest