CresentHan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is anyone doing the lord of the flies, and avrab exam in May?
I got a B in my last exam but I don't know how to get the higher marks ?
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CresentHan)
I did Lord of the Flies when I did my GCSE in English many moons ago :moon:.

What are you struggling on? Have you asked your teacher for guidance?

You may find the sparknotes analysis useful . Quote or tag me so I can be alerted to your reply please .
BhavyaB
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CresentHan)
Wait, are you in year 10? If so, I will be having my exams for English in June this year for Lord of the Flies. Just make sure you're familiar with the book and what's going on at what point. My suggestion is to ask your English teacher about what you can do to get better at it. I did too

Good luck!
bulgylau
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I do Lord of The Flies and A view From the Bridge...
CresentHan
Rep:
?
Thank you! My teacher is quite intimidating and I think some of my expression of my points are poor, but i'm not sure how to make it clearer.
nelly5bellies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did Lord of The Flies for my English exam last year. I found that websites like sparknotes and shmoop really helped me touch on themes and motifs in the novel, and right before the exam I watched the Thug Notes for the novel (found on youtube) for a little refresher of the main plot points and all the good stuff that can get you good grades

When writing an essay, I found that spending five minutes in the beginning planning it really helped me keep it focused. Having a structured plan giving a really brief overview of what points you want to include in each paragraph ensures that you can keep everything focused on the question. What I also found is that it means you have some sense of direction and have less room for waffle!

I highly recommend using the PEE (point, evidence, explanation) paragraph system, with heavy emphasis on the 'explanation' part. The trick with this is to try and 'squeeze' as much as you can out of each quote you choose, getting as many connotations from it as you can that relate to the essay question. The more explanation you give for your selected quote, the more clear your point will be - try to be specific and it will ensure that the person marking your essay is left with no doubt with what you are trying to say.

Finally, it might help you to get past essay questions and attempt them on your own in exam conditions. When you're finished, it might be an idea to approach your teacher and ask them to mark it for you, and ask them for feedback. Ultimately, your teacher is the person that can best help you. Don't be afraid to approach them - it's their job to help you!

I hope this has helped! Good luck!
CresentHan
Rep:
?
(Original post by nelly5bellies)
I did Lord of The Flies for my English exam last year. I found that websites like sparknotes and shmoop really helped me touch on themes and motifs in the novel, and right before the exam I watched the Thug Notes for the novel (found on youtube) for a little refresher of the main plot points and all the good stuff that can get you good grades

When writing an essay, I found that spending five minutes in the beginning planning it really helped me keep it focused. Having a structured plan giving a really brief overview of what points you want to include in each paragraph ensures that you can keep everything focused on the question. What I also found is that it means you have some sense of direction and have less room for waffle!

I highly recommend using the PEE (point, evidence, explanation) paragraph system, with heavy emphasis on the 'explanation' part. The trick with this is to try and 'squeeze' as much as you can out of each quote you choose, getting as many connotations from it as you can that relate to the essay question. The more explanation you give for your selected quote, the more clear your point will be - try to be specific and it will ensure that the person marking your essay is left with no doubt with what you are trying to say.

Finally, it might help you to get past essay questions and attempt them on your own in exam conditions. When you're finished, it might be an idea to approach your teacher and ask them to mark it for you, and ask them for feedback. Ultimately, your teacher is the person that can best help you. Don't be afraid to approach them - it's their job to help you!

I hope this has helped! Good luck!
Thank you! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (94)
11.42%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (85)
10.33%
Lack of purpose or motivation (104)
12.64%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.86%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.47%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (90)
10.94%
Financial worries (57)
6.93%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (38)
4.62%
Exposure to negative news/social media (52)
6.32%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.04%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (80)
9.72%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (65)
7.9%

Watched Threads