souhm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey, im really struggling to understand the clear purpose of some of the methods on the DNA technology chapter so any clarification would be much appreciated ..
What is the actual prupose of:
-Using gene markers : is it to check if the plasmid is taken up or the fragment?
-Sanger method
-Gel electrophoresis (Still dont understand how it shows the DNA sequence)
-Genetic fingerprinting
- Restriction mapping
Thanks for your help and feel free to add any other information which you think would be useful ..
VokeA
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by souhm)
Hey, im really struggling to understand the clear purpose of some of the methods on the DNA technology chapter so any clarification would be much appreciated ..
What is the actual prupose of:
-Using gene markers : is it to check if the plasmid is taken up or the fragment?
-Sanger method
-Gel electrophoresis (Still dont understand how it shows the DNA sequence)
-Genetic fingerprinting

Thanks for your help and feel free to add any other information which you think would be useful ..
Gene markers are to check for the DNA fragment as not all plasmids take up the fragment during transformation.

Sorry I can't help with the sanger method much, but I think gel electrophoresis comes under it you can separate lengths of DNA with the specific terminator nucleotide

Genetic fingerprinting compares the DNA core sequences (repeating lengths of introns) of individuals. The more similar they are, the more closely related they are - that's why they are used in paternity tests etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
souhm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by VokeA)
Gene markers are to check for the DNA fragment as not all plasmids take up the fragment during transformation.

Sorry I can't help with the sanger method much, but I think gel electrophoresis comes under it you can separate lengths of DNA with the specific terminator nucleotide

Genetic fingerprinting compares the DNA core sequences (repeating lengths of introns) of individuals. The more similar they are, the more closely related they are - that's why they are used in paternity tests etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks . .do you know about the restriction mapping ?
VokeA
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by souhm)
thanks . .do you know about the restriction mapping ?
I know how to do it (depending on the q) but explaining it would be difficult. I think the textbook is decent in explaining it though

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads