Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, can someone explain to me how to do these question for the particle physics topic pls. especially question c. i read the examiner's report and idk how to do the question. thank you!!
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by Exotic-L)
    hi, can someone explain to me how to do these question for the particle physics topic pls. especially question c. i read the examiner's report and idk how to do the question. thank you!!
    think about it in terms of quarks. a pion plus is up anti-down, so it annihilates with a down quark, and the up quark becomes part of the new particle. This means a neutron must become a proton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    think about it in terms of quarks. a pion plus is up anti-down, so it annihilates with a down quark, and the up quark becomes part of the new particle. This means a neutron must become a proton.
    thank you soo much for the reply, but i dont understand where the down quark comes from.
    could you explain this to me pls? thank you

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    thank you soo much for the reply, but i dont understand where the down quark comes from.
    could you explain this to me pls? thank you
    the neutron in the nucleus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    the neutron in the nucleus
    thank you! but how can u now calculate the A and Z of the question?
    using this info

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    thank you! but how can u now calculate the A and Z of the question?
    using this info
    The number of protons and neutrons is unchanged
    the number of protons increased by one

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.