Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not to be cocky but I come from a very fortunate background, I'm 16 and have been very lucky to travel across the world, and live in a very comfortable house and have never had to worry about whether we can afford something. My parents are very much that if I want something I have to work for it, but ultimately I get what I need and what I want providing it is not outrageous or extravagent. My parents have very kindly paid for a tutor in subjects where I need help, and I am to my eyeballs in textbooks, and everything else I would need. My mum doesn't have to work, and my family is able to support me very well and will be able to pay for uni tuition fees and help me buy a house. I am incredibly incredibly lucky, and I am well aware of that (I do voluntering and charity work, help the homeless, etc) but I am starting to really get worried as I grow older and become more aware that I wont be able to have such a nice lifestyle when I'm older or give my children what I am so fortunate to have! I am working really hard right now to get good grades, make an impressive CV, etc. I want to be a building surveyor and then ultimately open up my own construction business as my dad and brother have. However, I'm really starting to second guess everything I do. If I don't get a good grade I start thinking that I'm going to fail in life and I'm going to struggle to pay bills when I'm older.Im not top of the class, and I'm not going to go to some super impressive uni like cambridge or oxford or get A* but I am generally an A/A* student in humanities, and A in Maths and English and B in Sciences. I really want to be able to provide my children with the lifestyle I have been able to have but now its constantly on my mind. I guess I don't want to "downgrade" but ultimately its about giving my children the lucky lifestyle I've been able to live. Does anybody else fill the same way? Its constantly on my mind and if I dare mention this to anyone I feel like Ill just be seen as a stuck up snob! 16yr old girl.

ReputationRep:
    Why ain't you blessed with paragraphs though fam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)
    Why ain't you blessed with paragraphs though fam?
    Oh god sorry! I'm a complete idiot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whoneedseton)
    Oh god sorry! I'm a complete idiot!
    No you're not; you're great just the way you are! :hugs:
    (Original post by whoneedseton)
    I really want to be able to provide my children.
    Might be looking a bit too far into things though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)
    No you're not; you're great just the way you are! :hugs:

Might be looking a bit too far into things though...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thank you:adore:I probably am! But its driving me crazy! Guess I just need to thank my lucky stars and work hard!

I'm sure your parents will let you inherit :yes:

But don't stress about the future so young. You'll get wrinkles too early!

Work hard to defeat the obstacles now, your GCSEs, and worry about those things when they come (which you hopefully won't need to do)

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call this the pressures of being fortunate. I am nowhere near as fortunate as you, and I have the exact same feelings. I want my family to be a situation like yours in the future, I want my kinds to have the life I didn't have. I want to be successful and earn lots of money... Every time I get a bad grade I worry and stress out. It's not the pressures of being fortunate, it's the pressures of wanting to do something great with you life

ReputationRep:
    That being said don't try and sweat it too much. You can only do your best and I'm sure your parents will be proud of you for doing your best

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.