Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am currently sitting the Y031 Access Module with the Open University. I have been thinking about pursuing a degree but have been out of education for about 14 years. I have recently submitted two TMA's but was not that happy with the results I have received. I just wondered how much of a jump it was from doing an access module to the first year of a degree, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. If you're studying arts & humanities, i think we're doing the same course. (I've handed in 2 TMA's so far as well! :-)

My TMA02 result was shocking - but that was basically because my time management was absolutely terrible and i thought i could get a lot more done in the time available (and also read around far too much of the question!)

From what i understand, there isn't really much of a jump. Though, obviously, because i'm going to find out in October, I can't answer the question.

I thought i'd say hello.... and wait for someone who's been there to answer the question for us.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I too am looking to study Y031. Is it accepted by brick universities like a normal access to HE course?

ReputationRep:
    The course is designed as a way to get used to studying - writing essays, referencing, time management & note taking etc. I was told that people who do the course get higher marks when they get cracking with theactual degree modules.

I've been doing it as a taster to see if i actually want to study towards a degree with the OU and if i have the time to do it.

I'm under the impression that it's NOT seen as an access course in the general sense of the word with respect to other uni's.

To be honest, the way the course is structured, i doubt it very much.

I'd check with an educational authority though.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, well suppose I continue with the OU onto a degree, do you consider the Access module worthwhile? My background in education is science, ergo fact and experiment based and don't have much experience referencing or essay writing. Would you say I'd struggle if I didn't take it? Also I'm not sure on your ages - did you get the advanced learner loan, or did it not apply?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 46. Worked over 20 years as a live sound engineer, so no writing in my job apart from emails & invoices. I've found the course helpful because i feel more prepared for the first module of the degree. I know more what they want & how the courses work.

I'm not really experienced enough to answer your question because i haven't started the first module of the degree yet.

For me it was a confidence issue as well. By doing the YO31, i can see i'm capable and can do it.

For a distance learning course, it's really great with the way that it's broken down week by week. I was told by the OU that that's the way all the modules are arranged. Which is a blessing.

I'm also doing a distant learning degree part time at another college in creative writing and each module is far less structured. It's a case of doing all the tasks and exercises in this bumf & lets have your assignment in in 6 weeks. No time frames apart from that. It's horrible.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not getting a loan. That's the other reason why i'm doing the access course. Try before i buy! :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.