Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've looked on the net with my social worker but we can't seem to find any clear answers in anything resembling cogent English ( or Welsh ), so as a last ditch effort to shed some light on the entire affair, I've come here...

> How does the SSG actually work?

> Do you have to be claiming benefits (PIP, ESA, HB) whilst attending university to qualify for an SSG?
    ( The reason I am asking this is because I currently am entitled to claim an SSG based on benefit entitlement and disability, but I'm intending to cancel my benefit claims on going to university as the stress the welfare system causes me will not make managing my health in a university envrionment any easier than it won't be ).

> If the answer to the above is 'yes', what happens if you are awarded an SSG and then your benefits are stopped?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by spinfusor)
    So I've looked on the net with my social worker but we can't seem to find any clear answers in anything resembling cogent English ( or Welsh ), so as a last ditch effort to shed some light on the entire affair, I've come here...

> How does the SSG actually work?

> Do you have to be claiming benefits (PIP, ESA, HB) whilst attending university to qualify for an SSG?
    ( The reason I am asking this is because I currently am entitled to claim an SSG based on benefit entitlement and disability, but I'm intending to cancel my benefit claims on going to university as the stress the welfare system causes me will not make managing my health in a university envrionment any easier than it won't be ).

> If the answer to the above is 'yes', what happens if you are awarded an SSG and then your benefits are stopped?
    Yes I believe you need to be claiming one of those benefits to get an SSG unless you are deaf and get DSA. Do you meet independent student criteria? If you doas a welsh student with no income you would get the full welsh learning grant of £5161 without having to get a special support grant and then the minimum loan of around £2.5k on top. So if you do want to stop getting the benefits you would still get 7.6k to live off but if you stay on them and get special support grant i think you could get closer to 9k. Bare in mind some universities can have bursaries of you have a low income and if you need different accomodation due to your disability then disabled student allowance would cover that anyway.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.