Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Iraqi handover of sovereignity 2 days early. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3845517.stm

The US has danded over Sovereignity to the Iraqi government, two days earlier than schedueled, effectively making any planned terror atacks at June 30th to be off-time.

Whats your views?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3845517.stm

The US has danded over Sovereignity to the Iraqi government, two days earlier than schedueled, effectively making any planned terror atacks at June 30th to be off-time.

Whats your views?
    Its good thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Its good thinking.
    i dont get it! what have they a ctually given them back
    im still a little confused :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The occupying force become peacekeepers. (OK, there is more to it than this, but mostly just to do with legalities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    i dont get it! what have they a ctually given them back
    im still a little confused :confused:
    erhaps the most important difference will be that teh Iraqi government is now in charge of military strategy. Although US troops are still under US controll, the Iraqi government gets to decide where they are needed. Also, the Iraqi economy is now more or less under Iraqi governing, though they are still heavilly dependant on US capitall and foreign aid.

ReputationRep:
    They'll also get official custody of Saddam Hussein, but the Americans will keep physical custody.

ReputationRep:
    whoever is in control of their government wont make much of a difference i feel. the violence is out of their control now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    whoever is in control of their government wont make much of a difference i feel. the violence is out of their control now.
    the violence isnt without a cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    what?

ReputationRep:
    obviously no one goes to tries to terrorise people without a reason unless they are completely dotty, and the whole of iraq isn't dotty

ReputationRep:
    Wise comment... the Earth being in orbit around the sun isn't without a cause.
    I swear you say these stupidly obvious things just to start an argument.

ReputationRep:
    im baffled by the three post response i get for pointing out that the insurgent violence is not just haphazard. it is entirely political and to suggest the violence will persist irrespective of the government would be to suggest wrong. evidently, there is far more scepticism in my few words, although, i would probably bet that it is entirely subjective at that..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Wise comment... the Earth being in orbit around the sun isn't without a cause.
    I swear you say these stupidly obvious things just to start an argument.
    She is right
    It is true, Voilence didn't came from nowhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanh)
    She is right
    It is true, Voilence didn't came from nowhere
    the fact its so blindingly obvious tho, why the need to point it out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    obviously no one goes to tries to terrorise people without a reason unless they are completely dotty, and the whole of iraq isn't dotty
    The whole of Iraq is not participating in these atacks. The violence has rather "dotty" justifications and it is mainly a question aboutfanatic beleif rather than any real reason. Those terrorists who do have an organised reason for doing their bussiness do so because they want to prevent a democratisation and secularisation of Iraq and I doubt they care whether it is a secularised Iraqi government or a secularised American government that controlls them. I am afraid that the militants may see this as merely a chance to get the US to withdraw from the region and eventually give them the opportunity to topple a weak Iraqi government.

ReputationRep:
    The whole of Iraq is not participating in these atacks. The violence has rather "dotty" justifications and it is mainly a question aboutfanatic beleif rather than any real reason. Those terrorists who do have an organised reason for doing their bussiness do so because they want to prevent a democratisation and secularisation of Iraq and I doubt they care whether it is a secularised Iraqi government or a secularised American government that controlls them. I am afraid that the militants may see this as merely a chance to get the US to withdraw from the region and eventually give them the opportunity to topple a weak Iraqi government.
    Ok seize upon a non serious comment.
    Them wanting to seize the country is there reason for violence and thus the violence has a reason as Vienna stated which is as i said obvious. They want change with regards to the political direction of the country and too them that is a very logical reason, so the justification to you may be dotty but to them carrying out the attacks the reasons i am sure are very logical.

ReputationRep:
    Ok seize upon a non serious comment.
    Them wanting to seize the country is there reason for violence and thus the violence has a reason as Vienna stated which is as i said obvious. They want change with regards to the political direction of the country and too them that is a very logical reason, so the justification to you may be dotty but to them carrying out the attacks the reasons i am sure are very logical.
    So you beleive that logic is subjective? In my opinion you are foolish to run at full speed into a concrete wall regardless of whether you beleive it to be reasonable or not.

ReputationRep:
    So you beleive that logic is subjective? In my opinion you are foolish to run at full speed into a concrete wall regardless of whether you beleive it to be reasonable or not.
    IMO the people in Iraq are fighting for a cause which they believe is right, hence they have a reason for fighting. They believe this reason to be logicaly (but they are not judging it in a objective way). To me their goal is not the same as the wall in your example, since the consequences of their violence is not clear unlike the obvious consequences of running into a wall.

And as for logic being subjective, I am not sure, its an interesting question which i would need time to think about.

ReputationRep:
    the fact its so blindingly obvious tho, why the need to point it out?
    well it wasnt for fun.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 28, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.