The Student Room Group

How hard is Further Maths A Level?

I want to restart my a levels and was thinking of taking Maths and Further Maths as I am potentially interested in computer science which requires these A Levels to study it at top universities (e.g. UCL and Cambridge). However, I am unsure of whether I would be capable of doing further maths as I only got an A at GCSE. Would I be able to do it or is too much for a person with my mathematical capability? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by aj122
I want to restart my a levels and was thinking of taking Maths and Further Maths as I am potentially interested in computer science which requires these A Levels to study it at top universities (e.g. UCL and Cambridge). However, I am unsure of whether I would be capable of doing further maths as I only got an A at GCSE. Would I be able to do it or is too much for a person with my mathematical capability? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Most schools recommend an A*, because of the pace you need to go at and the demand that FM can have.

However, if you were close to an A* or just enjoy maths, don't see the difficulty as a barrier. Indulge in it and enjoy the subject. If you enjoy maths, you'll probably find a large amount of the content enjoyable anyways, which should somewhat lessen the difficulty.
Reply 2
Original post by kingaaran
Most schools recommend an A*, because of the pace you need to go at and the demand that FM can have.

However, if you were close to an A* or just enjoy maths, don't see the difficulty as a barrier. Indulge in it and enjoy the subject. If you enjoy maths, you'll probably find a large amount of the content enjoyable anyways, which should somewhat lessen the difficulty.

Thanks for the reply. I have not experienced A Level Maths (or Further Maths) however it does seem an enjoyable subject and which highly regarded by top universities. Would you say the content is more enjoyable than GCSE maths?
Original post by aj122
Thanks for the reply. I have not experienced A Level Maths (or Further Maths) however it does seem an enjoyable subject and which highly regarded by top universities. Would you say the content is more enjoyable than GCSE maths?

Far more enjoyable, GCSE is boring. Are you planning to just do two A levels? You can just succumb to the maths life and study hard and dream numbers and hallucinate integration.. It is fun.
Original post by aj122

A lot more enjoyable!
Reply 5
what are the topics of FM?
Reply 6
Original post by Bobjim12
Far more enjoyable, GCSE is boring. Are you planning to just do two A levels? You can just succumb to the maths life and study hard and dream numbers and hallucinate integration.. It is fun.

I am planning to do these Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Computer Science.
Maths is essentially a requirement for an economics or computer science degree and further maths is recommended at the top universities.
Original post by aj122

Maths is essentially a requirement for an economics or computer science degree and further maths is recommended at the top universities.

Correct.
opted to do maths and fm next year... shitting bricks but so excited to learn new concepts in maths finally :biggrin:
(Also, I think most schools ask for an A* but idk. Mine says we have to get 90% to do it.)
Reply 9
Reply 10
If you enjoy doing maths then you may feel that A-level maths just doesn't cut it for you, and if that is the case then you should do A-level further maths as it will make it more....fulfilling... if you will.

Quick Reply

Latest