Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

im a penultimate year uni student, and after having spoken to some muslim girl I met through a friend for a few days, i managed to get her number & we've been talking for quite a bit getting to know eachother.

problem is she's really interested in marriage generally (as her best friend got married at 17 & she seems quite alone in her life) & whilst i also am, I don't see the practically. I've been in a few relationships before but nothing serious.

my questions:

is how would a marriage work given I live with parents (tbh I have the financial means to move out) and if I don't get married I'm 100% going to fall into fitnah

even if I get married, come graduation, I'm never going to have time to spend with anyone let alone my wife (work-related) so is it even worth it?

thirdly she's quite religious (i.e never misses prayer) and I'm just moderate muslim who does **** all apart from go to friday prayers once every few months (I want to rectify this and feel as though she can be some motivation for this move)

anyways.. any advice would be welcome (I'm terrible with relationships)

ps: she's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen wallahi, and kind, caring and all that other jazz

bump

ReputationRep:
    Do u think you will never get married in your life then because of time spent at work? Surely you aren't going to be sleeping at work so you will come home to her. Also many many married couples live with the husbands parents. That's not going to be a problem.
    If you are 100% going to fall into committing a sin which could be one of the most severe ones then the best would be to increase your iman by going mosque and meeting better friends. Also marrying her would increase your iman.

ReputationRep:
    Your whole situation is fine, If you got financial means then you can move out, if not you could simply live with parents until otherwise. The world word is busy, works, has things todo yet married couples exist so its fine & remember nothing is fixed, just like today you've written you read a firday prayer every few months, another day you might write you've been reading much more, you can grow your faith and maybe marriage is the step forward for you. Either way, InshaAlllah i hope everything works out for you Akhi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    im a penultimate year uni student, and after having spoken to some muslim girl I met through a friend for a few days, i managed to get her number & we've been talking for quite a bit getting to know eachother.

problem is she's really interested in marriage generally (as her best friend got married at 17 & she seems quite alone in her life) & whilst i also am, I don't see the practically. I've been in a few relationships before but nothing serious.

my questions:

is how would a marriage work given I live with parents (tbh I have the financial means to move out) and if I don't get married I'm 100% going to fall into fitnah

even if I get married, come graduation, I'm never going to have time to spend with anyone let alone my wife (work-related) so is it even worth it?

thirdly she's quite religious (i.e never misses prayer) and I'm just moderate muslim who does **** all apart from go to friday prayers once every few months (I want to rectify this and feel as though she can be some motivation for this move)

Does her parents and your parents both know you guys are really keen on each other?

Why don't you get engaged to her, how does engagement work in your culture? Because it's different to everyone and don't get married unless you are ready. Marriage is not just fulfilling your desires, there is a financial obligation upon you aswell, you would need to be a mature and responsible person and if you are not there yet then there is no need to rush. How long have you got left until you graduate? I think as long as her parents know you are talking to her then its fine.

ReputationRep:
    omg I CANT UNSEE IT. WHERE'S THE EYE-BLEACH?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

my questions:

At the end of the day, if you feel that you are ready to get married and that you have the means, I don't see any reason not to consider it seriously. You may want to delay it for a short while, that's up to the two of you.

As for religion, perhaps you may get to know more about your religion through your spouse.

As for work and time, you eventually learn that this is something that one just has to get on with; work will always be something to keep you occupied but it's down to us as individuals to give time to those we love like one's spouse, family and friends.

The fact that she is ready for marriage indicates that she is committed (unless she is quite impulsive and undecided at times). Perhaps speak to her family and get to know them, relating your intentions of when to marry.

I hope things work out well for you guys

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.