Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello!

I am doing an internship in an automotive company and I find it difficult to catch up with the various acronyms and terminology they use.

They have their own complicated processes, with tons of document templates that each has a different acronym and in most cases not a self explanatory one.

There is absolutely no documentation of all these acronyms and processes and the only way to catch up is to just ask all the time.

Is there any way to deal with that?

Also, are there any engineering, finance, consultancy, IB, legal sectors that have documented processes that you can read documentation or receive training and get an understanding? instead of having to ask all the time?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there are

ReputationRep:
    I need replies from people who KNOW what they are talking about.

I have a closed relative who is a doctor and I know that in medicine everything is documented. If it is not, it is probably not valid. There are tons of acronyms in medicine, but all are documented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studos)
    I need replies from people who KNOW what they are talking about.

I have a closed relative who is a doctor and I know that in medicine everything is documented. If it is not, it is probably not valid. There are tons of acronyms in medicine, but all are documented.
    Accounting is well documented. You will learn everything you need to know while doing your chartered accountant qualification. All the terms and concepts are learnt there. My uncle, who is a chartered accountant, told me that the chartered accountant qualification teaches you all the terms you need to know to be an accountant- but that you will continue to gain knowledge throughout your career when working with different businesses.

ReputationRep:
    OK but I am not interesting much in Accountancy. Maybe IB, law, consuntancy or other sectors of engineering.

ReputationRep:
    OK but I am not interesting much in Accountancy. Maybe IB, law, consuntancy or other sectors of engineering.
    Definitely not IB or consulting- these are careers where you learn on the job as you gain experience. There's a lot of informal teaching involved as well as the usual formal teaching of financial concepts.

Law is quite well documented because you need to complete qualifications. Maybe ask around in the law section for more info

ReputationRep:
    I'd say asking is a vital part of any of the graduate jobs you have mentioned. A "document" or "book" might say something, but the practical realities of how businesses work means things are usually open to interpretation, or they are fluid, or they change. Gaining insight from a more senior member of staff is probably one of the better ways of learning on the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hello!

I am doing an internship in an automotive company and I find it difficult to catch up with the various acronyms and terminology they use.

They have their own complicated processes, with tons of document templates that each has a different acronym and in most cases not a self explanatory one.

There is absolutely no documentation of all these acronyms and processes and the only way to catch up is to just ask all the time.

Is there any way to deal with that?

Also, are there any engineering, finance, consultancy, IB, legal sectors that have documented processes that you can read documentation or receive training and get an understanding? instead of having to ask all the time?

thanks!
    Investment banking (M&A) is quite well documented because all the banks have a graduate training scheme where you learn everything- no prior technical knowledge is really assumed for the internships. I know from experience.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Sayed0123)
    Investment banking (M&A) is quite well documented because all the banks have a graduate training scheme where you learn everything- no prior technical knowledge is really assumed for the internships. I know from experience.
    You never finished your ama btw..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You never finished your ama btw..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you haven't even started uni or worked a single hour in a bank
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wtf does this have to do with me reminding someone to finish an AMA? Studos, get a grip dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Wtf does this have to do with me reminding someone to finish an AMA? Studos, get a grip dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    WOAH, Princepieman fires back... what will studos do next? Find out on the next episode of TSR BEEF

(I'll stop now)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    WOAH, Princepieman fires back... what will studos do next? Find out on the next episode of TSR BEEF

(I'll stop now)
    Maaaaaaaaad, can't wait, I hope it's better than that walking dead season finale 😒 (Still not over it)
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yes for law, most things are documented. What you would be lacking is the underlying legal knowledge and the experience to know how to put things into practice.
    It's normal to go to a bookshop or library if you wnat to find the specific texts for your practice area. The LPC is targeted at procedureal aspects to prepare yourself for practice.

If you dont know what some legal terms are, then its normal to look them up in a legal dictionary or its likely they will be in the appendix of the book you are reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axlerod)
    Maaaaaaaaad, can't wait, I hope it's better than that walking dead season finale 😒 (Still not over it)
    Don't tell me what happens

...or the next episode of TSR Beef will be between us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Don't tell me what happens

...or the next episode of TSR Beef will be between us
    Hahahahahahah don't worry, I have no idea what happens myself (you'll understand that joke once you watch it 👍🏼)

ReputationRep:
    savage

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.