Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying Level 3 Creative Media production. The other day I was talking to people about university and other alternatives to it and someone told me about media com doing internships for people coming straight out of college and wanting an alternative to uni. I wanted to know if this is true?

Also are there any other companies people know of that offer apprenticeships/internships for Media and Film students who have only finished college?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    It is worth looking at the BBC and ITV internships and apprenticeships as well as ones from Channel 4 as they have great opportunities and look out for new talent. You might have to relocate, depending on where you live but it is worth it. A job could be at the end of the apprenticeship so it is worth it to look around. Some internships may ask you to become a runner first but this is how a lot of producers/writers got their first big break!

(Original post by johannarebecca7)
    I'm currently studying Level 3 Creative Media production. The other day I was talking to people about university and other alternatives to it and someone told me about media com doing internships for people coming straight out of college and wanting an alternative to uni. I wanted to know if this is true?Also are there any other companies people know of that offer apprenticeships/internships for Media and Film students who have only finished college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    It is worth looking at the BBC and ITV internships and apprenticeships as well as ones from Channel 4 as they have great opportunities and look out for new talent. You might have to relocate, depending on where you live but it is worth it. A job could be at the end of the apprenticeship so it is worth it to look around. Some internships may ask you to become a runner first but this is how a lot of producers/writers got their first big break!
    I didn't know they did apprenticeships... I knew BBC did work experience places but those usually only last for a couple of weeks and was looking for something that lasts at least a year to make it more worthwhile. --- I only live 50 miles from London so commuting on a train wouldn't be so bad if I had enough money to do so. I'll definitely look into it, thank you!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I didn't know they did apprenticeships... I knew BBC did work experience places but those usually only last for a couple of weeks and was looking for something that lasts at least a year to make it more worthwhile. --- I only live 50 miles from London so commuting on a train wouldn't be so bad if I had enough money to do so. I'll definitely look into it, thank you!
    Channel 4 definitely do and ITV offers great work experience for young people starting out. You may work with television production companies but it is so worth it and no problem! What do you want to do after an apprenticeship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    Channel 4 definitely do and ITV offers great work experience for young people starting out. You may work with television production companies but it is so worth it and no problem! What do you want to do after an apprenticeship?
    I've had a small look and they seem to mostly offer Level 3 apprenticeships, which won't suit me as I'm already working towards a Level 3 at college, but I've seen other places that offer Level 4 qualifications so I've noted them down for when I'll be needing to apply next year.

I personally would like to get into something regarding creative advertising, be it television adverts, or posters and so on (so I'm more focused on apprenticeships that offer this) but otherwise I'm wanting to do the same thing I'd want after studying at University... work my way up the ladder in the Advertising business. I just thought an apprenticeship gives you a more hands on experience more than a degree would and plus you'd be earning at the same time so it wouldn't be as much as a financial problem
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I've had a small look and they seem to mostly offer Level 3 apprenticeships, which won't suit me as I'm already working towards a Level 3 at college, but I've seen other places that offer Level 4 qualifications so I've noted them down for when I'll be needing to apply next year.

I personally would like to get into something regarding creative advertising, be it television adverts, or posters and so on (so I'm more focused on apprenticeships that offer this) but otherwise I'm wanting to do the same thing I'd want after studying at University... work my way up the ladder in the Advertising business. I just thought an apprenticeship gives you a more hands on experience more than a degree would and plus you'd be earning at the same time so it wouldn't be as much as a financial problem
    I wish you all the best of luck. If you don't want to do an apprenticeship, email television production companies and advertising companies about vacancies or work experience.

Submit reply
Updated: April 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.