Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Theirs was many things.

Raw, but gentle. At first, dodging around the wound. Later, careful touches. At times passionate, but mostly quiet. Emotions seared within them, but they didn’t speak them. Words weren’t theirs.

A touch, pianissimo against soft skin. A cheek, leaning into the touch. Mingled breaths. Eyes meeting, unable to tear themselves away. A whispered sigh, wordless. Leaning forward. Foreheads touching. Noses bumping.

They stayed that way for a long time. No words needed to be spoken. Just to be together, to see each other and to feel each other, that was enough. They understood each other, just from their presence.

Theirs was a connection, not just physical but emotional, spiritual. Separate from everything else, entwined in their own world. Understanding unlike anything anyone else could match.

That wasn’t to say they understood everything about each other. There would always be something hidden, something new to learn. Thoughts remained in only one head, not known immediately in two. But they understood nonetheless. Had spent years learning to understand. A squint of the eyes, a twitch of a hand. Every action belonged to the language their bodies had constructed over years.

A quirk of the lips. A slow blink.

Theirs was an understanding. A feeling. Gut instinct, but twofold. Knowing the routine. Knowing which words to paint, which movements to make. Which movements would respond. Should respond. There were faults. That was natural. It only added to the understanding they shared.

A hand through hair. Drawing closer. Eyes drifting closed. Proximity. A blur of being.

Theirs was natural. Grown over the years. It belonged to them.

Theirs was home.

-----------------------------

This was written for the English Festival's Short Story Competition. I wrote this after having finished rereading a set of books I absolutely adore, which left me with a lot of emotions I needed to get out. The song I listened to whilst writing this was I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie. I hope you enjoyed it!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by becomehermione)
    Theirs was many things.

Raw, but gentle. At first, dodging around the wound. Later, careful touches. At times passionate, but mostly quiet. Emotions seared within them, but they didn’t speak them. Words weren’t theirs.

A touch, pianissimo against soft skin. A cheek, leaning into the touch. Mingled breaths. Eyes meeting, unable to tear themselves away. A whispered sigh, wordless. Leaning forward. Foreheads touching. Noses bumping.

They stayed that way for a long time. No words needed to be spoken. Just to be together, to see each other and to feel each other, that was enough. They understood each other, just from their presence.

Theirs was a connection, not just physical but emotional, spiritual. Separate from everything else, entwined in their own world. Understanding unlike anything anyone else could match.

That wasn’t to say they understood everything about each other. There would always be something hidden, something new to learn. Thoughts remained in only one head, not known immediately in two. But they understood nonetheless. Had spent years learning to understand. A squint of the eyes, a twitch of a hand. Every action belonged to the language their bodies had constructed over years.

A quirk of the lips. A slow blink.

Theirs was an understanding. A feeling. Gut instinct, but twofold. Knowing the routine. Knowing which words to paint, which movements to make. Which movements would respond. Should respond. There were faults. That was natural. It only added to the understanding they shared.

A hand through hair. Drawing closer. Eyes drifting closed. Proximity. A blur of being.

Theirs was natural. Grown over the years. It belonged to them.

Theirs was home.

-----------------------------

This was written for the English Festival's Short Story Competition. I wrote this after having finished rereading a set of books I absolutely adore, which left me with a lot of emotions I needed to get out. The song I listened to whilst writing this was I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie. I hope you enjoyed it!
    Brilliant story, i love how descriptive it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Brilliant story, i love how descriptive it is
    Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    If anyone would like to vote for any of the entries for this competition, you can click here or you can find all of the entries in this post.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.