Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Complete noob at everything, where can I start? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello lovely peoples

So the story goes I put on a lot of weight very fast due to medication and underactive thyroid (still being assessed) so as such, I have stretch marks and just am overweight.

What's my best way to lose weight? I'm getting so many different opinions that are quite conflicting, and there is no PTs or anything at the gym I'll be going to so I don't know where to start or what to be doing. I've started to clean up my diet but there is only so much I can eat (I can't eat gluten anymore etc)

Any advice for a complete noob?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Starting with the fitness FAQ would be as good a starting place as any

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyEcliptic)
    Hello lovely peoples

So the story goes I put on a lot of weight very fast due to medication and underactive thyroid (still being assessed) so as such, I have stretch marks and just am overweight.

What's my best way to lose weight? I'm getting so many different opinions that are quite conflicting, and there is no PTs or anything at the gym I'll be going to so I don't know where to start or what to be doing. I've started to clean up my diet but there is only so much I can eat (I can't eat gluten anymore etc)

Any advice for a complete noob?
    Agree with what AC said.

Best thing you can start with is to work out your maintenance calories, which can be done using several online calculators. You should then subtract a certain number from this, for example, 500, if your goal is to lose around 1lb per week. This is a modest amount to begin with.

Alternatively, people often choose a goal weight and multiply it (in lbs) by 11. That is the total number of calories you should eat. This will generally be lower than the other number you'll get through doing it the other method I mentioned.

Download MyFitnessPal and track everything you eat. You'll soon realise what you're going over on, what you're under on etc. and can adjust accordingly. Eating in a caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight. To make this easier, you can incorporate exercise into your routine which burns calories and thus either means you'll lose more weight through eating in a further deficit, or allow you to eat a little more calories. You should also track the exercise on MFP and it will adjust your calorie goals for you.

This is only the first step. You need to ensure you're committed as it's going to be a long process and not something which can be done in a few weeks. There is no secret to it, its just hard work and dedication.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.