Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you were rich, wouldn't you want to try and keep all your money too? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I keep thinking - why are people so angry over this Panama thing.

If I was earning a lot of money, that I had worked hard for, I don't want the government taking 45% of it and giving it to people to spend on booze and cigarettes...

So I would want to hide it away too.

Have some empathy please.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want that as well but I wouldn't hide it. Its just life lol and hiding is wrong (cheesy I know)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well not really, because I would have so much money that I wouldn't care of how much is taken away :3

ReputationRep:
    No one will ever have empathy for you AG.

#CapitalismForever.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt want my money to be spent on bad things.
    I would give some to charity because if youre really rich, you dont need it all. So the only logical thing is to give it to people who really need it. It could save numerous lives.
    But i wouldnt hide it away.

ReputationRep:
    Because poor people love paying tax so the rich don't have to.

ReputationRep:
    True what sort of retarded state taxes the wealthy so the poor can buy cigs and drink and cost the NHS more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)
    I keep thinking - why are people so angry over this Panama thing.

'government taking 45% of it '

So I would want to hide it away too.
    Its not so much the economic side becuase they have enough cash for days but more the ethical side

As they effectively make day to day decisonss on how to run the country, these ppl should be leading be example in morals as well which includes not lying like in Cameron's denial example and not hiding stuff in general

Integrity is important in leaders

ReputationRep:
    The majority of people complaining are tree hugging libs who think they have some sort of heavenly entitlement on other peoples money. Go work you useless sods rather than complaining about what in the grand scheme is incredibly trivial. The rich should hide their money, i sure as hell would.

ReputationRep:
    The main issue that most people (myself included) have with whole debacle is that it's predominantly the elite "ruling class" types that have been caught up in all this - and that only these people have the level of influence that allows them to get away with it, unlike us "regular citizens". The whole scandal doesn't only involve the rich people who want to keep their money, it's members of governments who have been *elected* to make decisions for their entire country, yet they're still trying to rise above everyone else and not pay their fair share of the taxes. It's a massive betrayal of trust. (also, everyone loves hating on Cameron at the best of times so some of his past statements on tax evasion make him look particularly stupid now.)

As regards other people, it's wrong in essentially everyone's eyes to live in a country and enjoy the benefits that come from it (infrastructure, emergency services, military etc) but not contribute anything to its upkeep, despite them making more money than basically everyone else (especially if taxpayers are paying for said person's goods/services). 45% tax doesn't kick in until you are really very wealthy.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to be rich but I would pay the full tax due in the UK, I wouldn't try shielding it offshore to avoid contributing. That option doesn't exist for the vast majority of British people so why should it exist for the super rich?

I am proud to be a British citizen and the UK has given me a lot so I don't have a problem giving it back and helping provide for investment in British schools, hospitals, infrastructure, the military etc.

The irony is when you get the super rich who make huge sums of money simply from the ownership of assets that increase in value, then squirrel that away offshore so they don't have to pay tax on it, and then lecture others about 'shirking' or pay lip service to how patriotic they are/how much they support our brave armed forces, when they are trying everything they can to avoid contributing to the UK....

ReputationRep:
    I just look at it this way... Cameron isn't the only one doing it, yet he seems to be the only one getting **** for it. It's not as if big names aren't on there... You've got guys like; Lionel Messi, Nico Rosberg, David Geffen (DreamWorks Co-Founder), Stuart Gulliver (Group Chief Executive of HSBC), the main shareholders of AB InBev (The company behind brands like Budweiser, Corona, Beck's, Skol, Leffe, ect...) just to name a few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMcSame)
    I just look at it this way... Cameron isn't the only one doing it, yet he seems to be the only one getting **** for it. It's not as if big names aren't on there... You've got guys like; Lionel Messi, Nico Rosberg, David Geffen (DreamWorks Co-Founder), Stuart Gulliver (Group Chief Executive of HSBC), the main shareholders of AB InBev (The company behind brands like Budweiser, Corona, Beck's, Skol, Leffe, ect...) just to name a few.
    I agree, and when you look at Cameron's published tax return, he's not really in the "super rich", he's part of upper middle England, which will resonate with a lot of traditional Tory voters. It's the comfortable part of society that hasn't felt the brunt of austerity, but Cameron is not in the wealth league of those above. Once he leaves office, well that's when he will start making big money, public speaking, non exec positions on boards etc, he will be able to increase his earnings potential.

BUT...to answer your first point, "Cameron isn't the only one doing it, yet he seems to be the only one getting **** for it", the reality is he's getting **** because he's the Prime Minister and so in charge of making the rules. It's one thing other wealthy people saying "we're just working within the rules that are laid out for us" because if people think that those rules aren't right, then they can't whinge at them. But if people don't like these rules then they are going to hold Cameron accountable for that, which is why he is getting ****.

And this point shouldn't be overlooked. In the 18 years of office of the last Tory administration, from 1979 to 1997, there were two recessions, periods of all time high unemployment, inflation spikes and massive social unrest in the period from 1979 to 1992, when the Tories won four back to back elections. The period from 1993 to 1997 was by far the best time for the economy, low inflation, falling unemployment, continuous strong growth. And yet in 1997 the Tories got hammered by a landslide. The big factor was that the party lost credibility over "sleaze" issues. This was a mix of extra-marital affairs and individuals being busted for activities of corruption (using their position to take money in brown envelopes). Now a lot of middle England probably does the former, and some will do the latter, but the issue is when you are a party of "the family" and of "law and order" then any little indiscretion like that is toxic to the image.

Cameron has tried to paint himself as someone who is clamping down on tax avoidance and has brought up the fact that the Blair government was lax on this. But once you have pitched yourself in that tent, you are going to be held up for scrutiny.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.