Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, i am looking at studying a post grad course,I'm wondering if the 10,000 mentioned includes the course fees or is that seperate ?
    or is it that i could receive the 10,000 and out of that i have to pay for my 6,000 tutor fees?
    many thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think it's for your entire degree expenses, to manage yourself... course fees, accommodation. they don't test it against your family income, so it's not like the undergrad loan
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Its for both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gardner29)
    Hi there, i am looking at studying a post grad course,I'm wondering if the 10,000 mentioned includes the course fees or is that seperate ?
    or is it that i could receive the 10,000 and out of that i have to pay for my 6,000 tutor fees?
    many thanks
    Thank you for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Its for both.
    How are post graduate students supposed to live off that say if the tuition fees are 8-9k. It only leaves 1k for living costs.

I don't think I can do my masters anymore because I won't be able to afford to live, especially if I chose to do it part time, as then I'd only get 5k for each of the two years...

Do you know if there is funding available on top of the PGL?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by phantompain)
    How are post graduate students supposed to live off that say if the tuition fees are 8-9k. It only leaves 1k for living costs.

I don't think I can do my masters anymore because I won't be able to afford to live, especially if I chose to do it part time, as then I'd only get 5k for each of the two years...

Do you know if there is funding available on top of the PGL?
    If you start a full-time or part-time master’s course after 1 August 2016 you can apply for a Postgraduate Loan. You’ll be able to borrow up to £10,000 to pay your fees and help with living costs.
    Is what it says. I don think it was ever intended to pay for everything, just meant to help. You could see if there are any bursaries by the Uni or you could look into whether you are eligible for a career development loan.

https://www.gov.uk/career-development-loans

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying for a Masters either this year or next. The main thing I'm concerned about is just how long this scheme will last. If I wait till next year then I'm worried the funding may not be there.
    Anyone here have an idea about how long this new Post-grad loan scheme is supposed to last?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonkeyMajic)
    I'm thinking of applying for a Masters either this year or next. The main thing I'm concerned about is just how long this scheme will last. If I wait till next year then I'm worried the funding may not be there.
    Anyone here have an idea about how long this new Post-grad loan scheme is supposed to last?
    I'm pretty certain it's indefinite, until George Osborne (or whoever it'll be) changes the student loan system again. Even then there's typically a couple of years' notice, like when UG fees went from £3465 to £9k. That was announced in 2010 but didn't kick in until 2012.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stony Steve)
    I'm pretty certain it's indefinite, until George Osborne (or whoever it'll be) changes the student loan system again. Even then there's typically a couple of years' notice, like when UG fees went from £3465 to £9k. That was announced in 2010 but didn't kick in until 2012.
    That's reassuring. Thanks.
    I was just looking at the eligibility requirements for getting the loan. One of the stipulations is that you have to have been resident in the UK for at least the past three years. I'm a UK national, born and bred, but after graduating in 2011 I did a 2 and half year stint (on and off) in Japan teaching English. But anyway, even if it is a problem I guess all I'll have do is wait a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonkeyMajic)
    That's reassuring. Thanks.
    I was just looking at the eligibility requirements for getting the loan. One of the stipulations is that you have to have been resident in the UK for at least the past three years. I'm a UK national, born and bred, but after graduating in 2011 I did a 2 and half year stint (on and off) in Japan teaching English. But anyway, even if it is a problem I guess all I'll have do is wait a year.
    Not a problem - if you can show that your time in Japan was always of a temporary nature (fixed term contracts, that kind of thing) then you should be OK. Did you keep a bank account in the UK open while you were out there? That's the sort of thing that would help show that you maintained a link here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stony Steve)
    Not a problem - if you can show that your time in Japan was always of a temporary nature (fixed term contracts, that kind of thing) then you should be OK. Did you keep a bank account in the UK open while you were out there? That's the sort of thing that would help show that you maintained a link here.
    Yeah, I kept it open for just that reason. Both times were of a temporary nature - more or less - but the second time only lasted for 5 months. Should have been a year but I decided to come home. But yes, I would definitely say that my second time (2014) was a temporary contract, and therefore should be (hopefully) OK.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.