The Student Room Group

Studying/Working in Canada

Hey guys,

As the title suggests, my question is related to both studying and working in Canada, namely Ottawa.

I recently applied to Carleton University in Ottawa for a Masters Degree in Civil Engineering, but just received news that I have not been accepted (I applied after the deadline, and although they were still taking applications in, it was only if they had places remaining, as well as academic merit).

I haven't given up about making my way to Canada yet though. I am researching alternative options. I hear University of Ottawa has slightly lower entrance standards compared to Carleton, so this is my next step. Could anyone suggest any other alternative Universities worth looking into? I aim to apply for the January term, as I am sure its too late to start in September now.

Another option I have been brainstorming is to work there. I have researched enough to know that I can't call myself an Engineer there until I obtain my Professional License. However, I could work as a Engineer in Training (EIT)?

Would my 3 year Bachelor's Degree be sufficient in order to do this? Although I know that British Degrees are usually recognised in Canada, how well do they fare for work admission? Is the 3 years equivalent to Canada's 4 years?

I know its a lot of questions, I hope they can be answered.

Thanks,
Shamil

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending