Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So my dad has just got in an argument with his best-friend since childhood, don't think they will be speaking with each other again.
    Meaning that he has asked me to be his best man with just weeks until the wedding, I am not good at public speaking and get incredibly nervous when speaking in front of a crowd, just thinking about it makes my palms sweat.
    I have no idea what to say, have never been to a wedding (i'm 17) and its right in the middle of my exams, literally right in the middle of my exams. I am so so nervous , have no idea what to say. I would like to keep as short and sweet as possible due to my nerves. Any advice, suggestions or templates would be great, there seems to be many out there, just not a lot for Dad's wedding.
    Please can someone help.
    Thank you TSR,
    Lee
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    Hi,
    So my dad has just got in an argument with his best-friend since childhood, don't think they will be speaking with each other again.
    Meaning that he has asked me to be his best man with just weeks until the wedding, I am not good at public speaking and get incredibly nervous when speaking in front of a crowd, just thinking about it makes my palms sweat.
    I have no idea what to say, have never been to a wedding (i'm 17) and its right in the middle of my exams, literally right in the middle of my exams. I am so so nervous , have no idea what to say. I would like to keep as short and sweet as possible due to my nerves. Any advice, suggestions or templates would be great, there seems to be many out there, just not a lot for Dad's wedding.
    Please can someone help.
    Thank you TSR,
    Lee
    Generally best mans speeches will be about how they met and how you wish they enjoy their lives together, keep it simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Generally best mans speeches will be about how they met and how you wish they enjoy their lives together, keep it simple.
    Okay I will try to include this into the speech, any advice on overcoming presentation nerves ?
    Thank you so much for your advice, you don't understand how much it helps
    Lee
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Okay I will try to include this into the speech, any advice on overcoming presentation nerves ?
    Lee
    I think dont put pressure on yourself and remember that your dad must believe you can do it or he wouldnt have asked Some people like to include funny stories you have of the groom but as its your dad its up to you if you think thats appropriate or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I think dont put pressure on yourself and remember that your dad must believe you can do it or he wouldnt have asked Some people like to include funny stories you have of the groom but as its your dad its up to you if you think thats appropriate or not
    I guess that is true, thanks My Dad has literally no sense of humor and someone will take a joke out of context/the wrong way as there is over 250 people So I think i'll pass on the jokes
    Thanks again
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I guess that is true, thanks My Dad has literally no sense of humor and someone will take a joke out of context/the wrong way as there is over 250 people So I think i'll pass on the jokes
    Thanks again
    Sounds like a good idea to pass on the jokes, glad to help
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Lee
    At a friend's wedding the Best Man's wife held up a sign saying "laugh now" at the appropriate points. It went down a storm. You could even hold up the sign yourself...!

Give an honest speech about you and your dad. How you get on, what you enjoy doing together, anything funny or embarassing that he's done, that sort of thing. You can even mention that he roped you into being best man at the last minute - that's guaranteed to get the audience's sympathy.

Honestly, everyone will be very happy to hear you say even a few words. They are on your side so just try to relax and enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    At a friend's wedding the Best Man's wife held up a sign saying "laugh now" at the appropriate points. It went down a storm. You could even hold up the sign yourself...!

Give an honest speech about you and your dad. How you get on, what you enjoy doing together, anything funny or embarassing that he's done, that sort of thing. You can even mention that he roped you into being best man at the last minute - that's guaranteed to get the audience's sympathy.

Honestly, everyone will be very happy to hear you say even a few words. They are on your side so just try to relax and enjoy it
    Wow ! You have literally just brought my nerves down from 100% to about 80%, which is actually quite good lol. I think I'll remember that last sentence on the big day. Going to start drafting a speech now.
    Thank you !
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    I had to do my dad's best mans speech when I was 18.

Know your place in the running order, typically you'll be following the grooms speech and your speech will be the end of the formalities and the bridge into the disco (or whatever else you're having) as the last person to address the crowd you need to tell them what's coming up next and where (if anywhere) they need to go - or else they'll just sit around looking confused when you stop talking.

make sure you introduce yourself (cos probably some people there don't know who you are)
    read out 'telegrams' from people who couldn't be there (any emails and letters etc.)
    say something slightly funny and inoffensive about your dad
    say something sincere and nice about the newlyweds
    lead a toast to the newlyweds

you don't need to be the new jimmy carr - don't go on too long... but don't rush either, take deep breaths and speak slowly and clearly so the people at the back can hear you.

everyone's basically on your side, they want you to succeed.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.