Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking at 'enrolling' on this http://www.distancelearningcentre.co...ence/option-1/ as it would allow me to work during the year.

Has anyone used an online course to get into university?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I used the OU's online CertHE to get into university, so yes - but I didn't do the Access course. Do you have any general questions about studying online?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I used the OU's online CertHE to get into university, so yes - but I didn't do the Access course. Do you have any general questions about studying online?
    Cool. What are you studying?

My main concern is how widely accepted they are. As far as I'm aware so long as they are LASER/QAA backed they are fine, right? I was also curious as to what the online tutor contact was like, eg how frequent and flexible?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Stanley Winchest)

My main concern is how widely accepted they are. As far as I'm aware so long as they are LASER/QAA backed they are fine, right? I was also curious as to what the online tutor contact was like, eg how frequent and flexible?
    I got into various universities for languages/history. Access courses are widely accepted, but you really should check with individual admission tutors to be sure. The online access course seems to have less subject options than college based access courses, which might be an issue depending on what you wanted to study at university. I can't comment on tutors because I didn't do the access course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Winchest)

(Original post by skiingjj)
    I am currently studying an Access course but in college. My concern with the link you have provided is that it doesn't seem to have enough credits (ours is 60) and it isn't a Laser accredited course which is the one that is most widely accepted by universities.

I would suggest you speak to the universities you wish to apply for to see if they would accept this qualification. Good luck
    As long as the Access course is QAA Approved, it will be accepted by any university who accepts Access to HE diplomas.

It doesn't matter if the course is validated by Laser or not - mine was validated by CAVA, and I have had offers from all of my university choices. Other validating agencies for QAA Access diplomas include Ascentis, OCN, AptEd, OneAwards, and many others.

Your Access diploma needs to have 60 credits overall, with 45 graded credits and 15 ungraded credits. The link that you provided to the Access course that you're interested in does have 60 credits (45 graded and 15 ungraded) - skiingjj is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying with the distance learning centre. The course you linked is 60 credits and it is acredited by QAA, plenty of universities will accept it. As for specific ones, a post on the DLC forum lists the universities that students will be going to this year and it seems lots of universities will accept them. I was very hesitant to enrol to be honest, I'm very paranoid and it was a fair amount of money and a lot of work involved. I read a lot of threads on the student room distance learning section (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=893) discussing distance learning and the DLC before deciding to enrol.

As for my personal experience, I've recieved offers from all 5 universities I applied for and I've generally had a good all round experience with them. I've had a total of 4 different tutors during my course (I currently have 57 credits completed) and they've all been incredibly friendly and helpful. As for contact, they usually ask you to send them a weekly email updating them on your progress. You can send them emails whenever you like with any questions and I've found them to be very helpful with their replies. They usually say they will reply to emails within 2 working days, however I've found they usually reply within a few hours, sometimes they would reply very quickly (10-30 minutes) whilst sometimes, approaching deadlines, they would take a day to reply. You can also arrange weekly 'tutorials' which are phone calls from your tutor and they will usually tell you the days they are doing them and you can ask to arrange one, they will arrange a time and then call you and answer any questions/talk you through the topic.

As for negatives, as I mentioned the only way to get in touch with them if you have questions is via email. Obviously you can't guarantee when you will get a reply, so if you are stuck and can't go any further but you have a few hours set aside to do work, you may not be able to do it as you will be waiting for a reply rather than being in college and being able to ask the teacher and get an answer instantly. I found the DLC forums helpful for this, most of the problems/questions I had I found posted by other students on the forums and tutors/other students would answer them. You can obviously also post on them yourself if your question hasn't been asked. The learning materials overall were good quality and taught me what I needed for the assessments, however, there would sometimes be weird spelling mistakes or errors such as the same line posted twice/words out of place. This wasn't a problem, I just found it strange. For some units I could complete the assessments purely using the learning material provided (they are provided in the form of pdf documents and your tutor will provide a password) but for other units I would have to do a lot of independent research/learning. It's also important to know that it will be a lot different than studying in school/college. The tutors will not chase you up or remind you to get your work completed. You will have to be very motivated and it is a lot of work to do, you could easily get behind and off track if you don't stay focused and let it pile up. They won't notice you haven't uploaded some work and get in touch asking if you need help, you must ask them. The courses also aren't as varied as you could get at a college, it's important to make sure the access course is linked to the course you want to study at university. You probably won't get any offers to study science at university if you study an access course in english, for example.

Overall, I've had a good experience with them. If it was a viable option, I'd probably choose college, just because of how you can get instant help from teachers and easily stay motivated/on top of the work. That's just personal preference and if you like the idea of being independent and not being pestered then go for it, I think I've grown a lot thanks to it and I hope it will help me in the future. Online learning was my only viable option at the time and it worked great allowing me to continue my life and fit work in around other things. The workload can get pretty heavy at times but if you stay on top of it, it's easily doable. Depending on when you apply and when you aim to finish you can also take much more or much less time to complete it. If you have any questions I haven't answered feel free to message me or ask them here and I'll try to answer, I also studied psychology and took the same units as the ones listed on the course you linked (the only one I didn't do was 'aggression') so if you have any questions about that, feel free to ask.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.