Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am going to be applying for Med school places in the not too distant future for 2017 entry and I know I have to (for my choices) do the BMAT and UKCAT. So today just to see I did both and my score was absolute crap. This is just going on BMAT as I couldn't get a score for UKCAT but it was 3.9 and 4.1 (no writing section score). Now considering, I'm academically able so I was shocked and despite it being a first time try, I wasn't particularly happy so was looking for wisdom from any who have taken the actual tests. Is it just needing practice to improve or am I just f***ed?
    Thanks!!
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Georgee_K460)
    Hi,
    I am going to be applying for Med school places in the not too distant future for 2017 entry and I know I have to (for my choices) do the BMAT and UKCAT. So today just to see I did both and my score was absolute crap. This is just going on BMAT as I couldn't get a score for UKCAT but it was 3.9 and 4.1 (no writing section score). Now considering, I'm academically able so I was shocked and despite it being a first time try, I wasn't particularly happy so was looking for wisdom from any who have taken the actual tests. Is it just needing practice to improve or am I just f***ed?
    Thanks!!
    The BMAT is hard - it depends on where you want to apply and in some cases, your other stats to determine what sort of score you should be aiming for. In general though, a score of about 5ish is decent.

For now, I'd suggest fovussing on your A-Levels/whatever else you're doing. Then get lots of practice for the UKCAT and after you've done that, the BMAT. They're not easy tests at all but it is possible to improve with a little practice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thanks!!
    Hi, I did the BMAT for 2016 entry and I got 5.9, 6.6 and 3B, when I started revising for BMAT (around mid September) I did a full paper and got low 4s. It is all about practice and revision with the BMAT, for section 1, it is practice so I would suggest that about a month before the BMAT, start doing section 1s from all the past papers for the BMAT and the TSA and you will start to improve your score. For section 2, I wouldn't suggest doing any past papers until you have fully revised GCSE Level Sciences. So I would get a CGP revision guide and over the summer start revising a little. Then around mid to late September start doing the section 2 past papers. I didn't really prepare much for the essay so I didn't get the best score, so I would say the over the summer start getting used to writing a page about some ethical problems in medicine.

Hope this helps and don't worry you have plenty of time until the BMAT, focus on your AS for now and then in the Summer start revising for the UKCAT and BMAT. Good Luck.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,
    Thanks!!
    Good morning!

Don't worry about not performing well in your first attempt at both the UKCAT and BMAT. All you need is practice!

UKCAT testing begins on 1st July, and BMAT testing is on 2nd November this year. That means you have plenty of time to get some mock Qs under your belt. Many applicants don't do well the first time they do practice tests - they're hard!

To really emphasise this, if you want to do really well, you absolutely must do some practice. With high competition for places at medical school, you need to try and get as high a score as possible. Going on previous years' average grades is not a great way to prepare, as the cut-off scores for every uni using either tests often changes from year to year.

Here is some general advice on how to prep for both:

UKCAT
    Use the UKCAT website, in particular the Candidate Toolkit. It's got video tutorials on how to answer every question, plus mock tests and general tips.

We'd recommend going through all of the information on the site in order to maximise your chances of getting a high score. Research shows that candidates with the highest UKCAT scores have done around 30 hours of preparation.

We've also got lots of free advice in our UKCAT Application Guide, a UKCAT question bank, where you can access 50 free questions, and great blogs written by students who've mastered the UKCAT themselves:
    - UKCAT practice makes perfect
    - UKCAT verbal reasoning blog

BMAT
    Use the official BMAT website. It's got specimen and past papers and information on every section.

Also, see our free application guide on the BMAT for more advice, and get 15 more free questions in our BMAT Question Bank.

We hope the above helps,

The Medic Portal

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.