Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do you think is the greatest mathematics problem of all time. In my opinion Fermat's last theorem is a very attractive problem - you can explain it to almost anyone and they will get the jist of it. I just think it's an extremely beautiful problem and one that you would have absolutely no idea of how to solve it (I know the outline of how the proof works).
    The most attractive unsolved problem currently is probably the Reimann hypothesis, that has a substantial amount of evidence for it, but in maths, evidence doesn't mean much (as shown several times in the past) until you can provide a rigorous proof that gives an answer beyond all doubt. I hope to see it solved in my lifetime, but who knows.

So the question is, what is your favourite problem in mathematics, solved or unsolved?

ReputationRep:
    The irrationality of \zeta(5)

Is there a positive non-integer x such both 2^x and 3^x are integers?

The Collatz conjecture

ReputationRep:
    Not mentioning mathematics when on a date

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    Not mentioning mathematics when on a date
    Getting a date in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano123)
    What do you think is the greatest mathematics problem of all time.
    Of all time? The fundamental theorem of arithmetic. Extraordinarily mysterious and, to paraphrase Whitehead on Plato, much of the history of mathematics has been a series of footnotes to it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.