Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Summer memories

The smell of dried blood fill my nostrils, thick and cold.
    My eyes flicker open but my pounding head forces me to shut them.
    It was at that moment that all my senses turn on, I shudder as the cold hits me like an electric shock, travelling up my spine, to my brain and my eyes open.

Confusion strikes me straight away, I take in my surroundings, I'm sitting in my car, arms hanging by my side in the drivers seat. Outside, all I see is a white blanket of snow that covers the ground and the trees hang over me, hiding me from the night sky. It looks like a field but I don't recognise it.

Where am I and how did I get here?

I grab the door handle and push against it but it doesn't budge. The cold was becoming unbearable, I move my stiff arms and fumble around with my numb fingers for my phone but my handbag is no where to be seen. Panic builds and in adrenaline, I barge my shoulder to the car window as tears fall against my numb cheeks.

That’s when I hear the crack, loud and clear in the night sky. I slowly lean against the window and see ice underneath. Time stops, the eerie silence screams the future of what was about to happen. I hold my breath and surely hear another crack, followed by another and the silence was soon shattered as my car started going down to the cold darkness. The rumbles of the shattering ice welcoming me to my death.

That’s when I see him. A figure in the dark a few meters away from the ice. His eyes meet mine which are filled with horror.

It all comes back to me like a flood of flashes.

//
    The door bangs shut, he comes home, drunk and violent like a wild animal.
    My hair being pulled, me on the floor.
    A kick in the ribs and then another. Being pulled up to stand, just to be thrown to the other side of the room.
    Then I couldn't breath, every breath was a choke and slowly it becomes all black.
    Then noise of the car starting, his voice, the one that once could sooth my inner scars, cursing and crying.
    Then roaring like a howling wolf.
    //

He thought I was gone.
    So brought me here to save himself.
    His eyes are still locked with mine, tears cover his face, he falls to his knees, The water is up to my waist now but I don’t feel the cold anymore.
    I smile as the water reaches my face but he is on the floor, his face in one hand and the other gripping his chest.

The darkness engulfs me but my soul is warmed by thoughts of his smile, his eyes and our summer memories.

**My entry for the TSR Short Story Competition**

ReputationRep:
    its for the http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3991411

ReputationRep:
    This is really cool, Ishea :gah: . Really eerie but cool! I dont think I would be able to enter the competition and leave with my dignity intact after seeing so many great posts :getmecoat: .
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    who can I improve this?
    its for the http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3991411
    Please don't edit your story :nah: it should be your own original writing with no input from others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    Please don't edit your story :nah: it should be your own original writing with no input from others
    Oh okay lol thanks for letting me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    This is really cool, Ishea :gah: . Really eerie but cool! I dont think I would be able to enter the competition and leave with my dignity intact after seeing so many great posts :getmecoat: .
    aw thank you
    aha i'm sure yours will be amazing im waiting for it

ReputationRep:
    aw thank you
    aha i'm sure yours will be amazing im waiting for it
    Nooo, I dont wanna do it :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Nooo, I dont wanna do it :bawling:
    come on, you know you want to since we're both procrastination masters:angelblush::innocent:

ReputationRep:
    come on, you know you want to since we're both procrastination masters:angelblush::innocent:
    Oooh, I like that title :clap2:We shall see. Not guaranteeing anything!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, I like that title :clap2:We shall see. Not guaranteeing anything!
    yep it suits us:giggle:
    YAAAY!!!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    I like this story but the tense changes from past to present in some places. so it's a little confusing to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    I like this story but the tense changes from past to present in some places. so it's a little confusing to read.
    thanks
    she has a flashback i realise i didnt make that part obvious

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.