Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have been offered a job after university and this week completed a kind of trial period (3 days). During this period I was rarely in the department advertised and was made to carry out the jobs no one else wanted to do.

I now feel really unhappy about starting and want to look for something new already- is it too soon? Should I wait it out?

I'm a very anxious person and am constantly worried about it.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I'd mention it to them, ask why you weren't in the department advertised and say that's the reason you took the job. Then If nothing changes, look somewhere else. I know it's cliché, but Life is too short to do something that makes you unhappy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darien91)
    If I were you I'd mention it to them, ask why you weren't in the department advertised and say that's the reason you took the job. Then If nothing changes, look somewhere else. I know it's cliché, but Life is too short to do something that makes you unhappy
    I did actually say something on the last day of my trial, he assured me it wouldn't always be like that, but I just don't feel excited about it anymore. I'm actually dreading finishing uni now because of it
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    3 days is not enough to say if its going to be bad job.. Give it a chance, unless you have one month notice you can wait another week to see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should weigh up your options.

If you think you'll have another opportunity after you graduate then you have the luxury to turn this role down. Alternatively, just because you join when you graduate doesn't mean it's a job for life. You can always work there, see if it improves, get some experience and move within 6 months. Other employers will not judge you for that so long as you have good reasons (which it sounds like you do), and the experience will be better than nothing.

Final option, which is not advised but people do it, would be to accept the job and if you find something then tell them you've changed your mind, and if you don't find anything then you can join and see if the role changes and meets your expectations. This approach is a bit selfish but protects you from being unemployed after Uni.

As INurl says, 3 days isn't long and they might have just been busy and found it hard to find you good things to work on. A bit more time there might give them the chance to have you work on the kind of projects that were advertised.

ReputationRep:
    You should think about: 'How would I feel if I had to do this job for the next 5/10 months? Do I enjoy it?'

Google some reviews about the company, what other graduates are saying, were they given enough responsibility, were they treated well etc.

Email them and tell them you really want to work in that department.

If you don't like it from the start, I doubt you will end up liking it later on. I was in the same situation - had a year placement at a top company - hated it, resigned after 3 months and I don't regret it.

Hope this helps

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.